4.4

Valerie's P.O.V.

I closed my eyes again and this time was pulled into a deep sleep. Breathing steadily as Carson rubbed his thumb across the fabric of my pants.

*****
"I'm gonna go see Jesse and James." I kissed my moms forehead and hugged my dad. They nodded and waved me off. Since I found them in their room last night they haven't said much to me.

I had got up and showered, Carson had to leave. He said he needed to talk to Isaac about something.

I ran outside and pulled the door shut behind me, unlocking my car and walking towards it. I climbed inside and put the key in the ignition. The engine roared to life and the radio instantly turned on. I hummed along to a song I had heard frequently, but not enough to memorize the words.

As I pulled onto the freeway and drove down the road, getting closer to the hospital the radio turned to a new song. I had only heard it like once.

'Every body gets high sometimes you know?
What else can we do when we're feeling low?
So take a deep breathe and let it go, you shouldn't be drowning on your own.

And if I feel you're sinking I will jump right over into cold cold water for you. And although time may take us into different places I will still be patient with you.

And I hope you know, I won't let go.

I'll be your life line tonight.'

I sang the words I knew, and stopped when I know longer knew what to sing. It didn't matter though because I got to the hospital. I pulled into the parking lot and parked in a spot close to the entrance. Pulling the key out of the ignition and tossing it into my purse, I opened my door and climbed out of my car. Closing the door behind me.

The automatic sliding doors cleared as I walked closer to them. I already knew the way to the room so I just went to the elevators, pressing the up button and tapping my foot as I waited. Finally I heard a ding and the grey metal doors opened to welcome me into a small empty space. I stepped inside and pressed the button to go to their floor.

The doors closed as I heard small clicks walking closer. I held the door close button so that while I was going up, the elevator wouldn't stop to pick up any unwanted people. Finally the metal box stopped moving and the doors parted yet again. I was welcomed by a group of people with balloons and teddy bears with baskets full of stuff. I stepped out and they walked into the small area. I looked down the hall and was met with nothing, not a single person. I sighed and walked straight forward down the corridor and turned into Jesse and James's room. I closed the door behind me and set my bag down, looking over at Jesse's bed to find it empty. I looked at James and saw him still as beat up as before. If anything he looked a little worse, the bruises had turned to a light yellow color or dark dark purple and red. His cuts were dry and if they were shallow enough were starting to scab. His hair was frizzy and greasy from not showering.

His eyes appeared to be closed but twitched, as if he was blinking with his eyes closed. He had a small tube coming out of his nose to make sure he could breathe and his heart beat could be heard throughout the room. It was the only sounds really. I walked over to the window and draped my jacket against an unoccupied chair. I sat down in the window sill and looked down at my hands. Twisting my fingers together.

"I know you probably can't hear me, but maybe that's what I need. I need someone to listen and not give me input on what they think. I'm scared James, I'm scared to get married. Terrified actually, and I don't know what to do. I have to go dress shopping for myself and still find brides maids. I haven't talked to Janie and I don't really want to. She's probably mad at me, but who else am I supposed to ask to be my maid of honor? I mean, there's Robin but we aren't as close. I would ask Harper, he's a friend. But he's a guy, so that won't work. Carson's birthday is next week and I need to find a gift but I don't know what he would want. We decided we were going to have the wedding next Thursday. So Friday, which is his birthday is the day after. Which means we will be on our honey moon, I know what I could give him. Me, finally have sex with him. But that seems like I'm just trying to get out of buying him a gift. Which I'm not. No one told me getting married would be just as nerve wracking as it is exciting. I want you here James, I need you to be at the wedding and be waiting if I break down. You are like my brother and I don't know what I'm going to do if you aren't there." I exhaled. "But thanks for listening." I leaned against the window and looked out at the dim city. "I wish this wasn't all so scary."

James didn't respond, I didn't expect him to. But part of me wanted him to, I wanted him to tell me everything was going to be okay. That things would work out for the best, what I should get Carson for his birthday. Tell a joke and make me laugh, just anything but sit here in silence.

I stood up from my spot in the window sill and walked over to sit next to James. I pulled a chair next to his bed and sat down quietly. I picked his hand up with my own and intertwined our fingers.

Sighing calmly. I rubbed my thumb over the back of his hand, carefully. It seemed as if it was the only part of his body that wasn't hurting and I didn't want to change that. A small smile took over my face when I felt his hand squeeze back. It made me relax a little, think that maybe he did hear me and that was his way of telling me he would be here. Even if he wasn't at my wedding, I would stop here before any where else after. Come talk to him about how this week went. Just tell him that even though he couldn't be there, doesn't mean I wouldn't come see him after.

I wonder where Jesse disappeared to though. I know he broke his leg, but I'm not sure where he could be. They didn't discharge him yet, Isaac would've called me.

I was brought out of my thoughts when the door opened. Sure enough Jesse himself walked in on crutches, his head still wrapped up. He closed the door and limped over to his bed, setting his crutches aside before he laid down. It was then that he noticed me.

"Oh, hi Val. I didn't see you."

I smiled and returned the hi.

"I was eating breakfast down in the cafeteria, Janie and Isaac are down there. They said they had to go home to shower and clean up before they came back"

"Yeah, I was just talking to James about the wedding." I looked back over at him.

"The doctor said he might wake up before next week you know?"

"Well that's good because the wedding is Thursday." I smiled over at Jesse.

"But they also said that he won't remember anyone."

If you read please vote. If you don't. Don't read. Tell me what you think! Did you enjoy this chapter? Are you enjoying the story?

Okay so I decided it was time for her to come back and see Jesse and James, it's been a while in the story, even though as far as time goes it's only been two days. Which seems insane. I haven't really decided what is going to happen to James yet, Jesse is obviously feeling good enough to go to the cafeteria and be out. But James hasn't even opened his eyes yet. Val has a very busy week this week so she probably won't have time to visit the boys again before the wedding. Jesse will be there, James. Well that's a whole different story.

All the love,

Sparkling Beverage🍹