Plain Pain

Gauri POV

The humid air mixed with the earthy smell fills my mind in the damp desert. I was sitting on the camel cart along with the teenage girl Nupur whom I saved, Apaar and Bhuwan ji, the head servant of the palace. I got to know that the young girl is his daughter and he has thanked me a lot for saving her. When we were leaving the fort, everybody was sad especially Shankari ji.

When I stepped outside in the courtyard of the fort, a group of villagers greeted me. Everyone was happy to see me I don't know why but their smiles were genuine so I returned the gesture and greeted them with a smile. I thanked Shankari ji and everybody for their help. They just told me that it is an honour for them to help me. That was weird!!

One villager was driving the camel cart which was occasionally going up and down on the bumpy and wet sand surface. Everybody was silent like we were attending some funeral and nobody tried to break the silence. The driver might get bored because he started humming a song.

"Aap kya ga rahe hain (What are you singing)" the silence was irritating me so I tried to start a conversation with the driver.

"Kuch na bai sa, mhare ko purani filme chokhi lagey hain so wahi gunguna raha hu (Nothing my lady, I like old movie songs that's why I am humming that)" I smiled and requested him to sing the song.

"Bai sa, the log hasne lagoge. Je ladki wala gana hai (You people will laugh, it is a female voice song)" I chuckled at his innocence.

"Koi bat nahi, aap gaiye hum bhi sath denge (Its okay, you start, we will company you)" I looked at the young girl and she nodded in agreement with a smile.

"Bichde hum bas kal parso (We parted just day before tomorrow)" As soon as these words escaped his lips, I felt a pain in my heart. I felt that he has put my past in lyrics.

"Jiyungi main kaise is hal me barso (How would I live like this for years to come)" tears brimmed my eyes thinking about Alex. How would I live without him?

"Yad na ayi meri Jan duhai, hai lambi judai (You didn't miss me my love, how painful is this long break up) I tried to look into the darkness covering the desert so that nobody could see my tears.

He kept on singing the song in which the girl pour the pain of her heart into words that how much she is missing her love. How the distance from him is killing her each day? How their love life was short lived and there are no chances of reunion. I wanted to stop him from singing because it was just resurfacing my pain but I didn't stop him. The young girl was also singing with him in chorus and when they stopped everybody applauded them and I also clapped with others.

The silence which broke on a musical note then turned into little chit chat. I got to know that his name is Bheema and he is famous wrestler of his clan. The girl has also told everybody that how I supported her when those guys were trying to kidnap her and everybody was just looking at her like spectators. Bheema praised me and Bhuwan ji has thanked me again.

Bheema has halted abruptly and I fell on the back of Apaar who immediately hold me by turning towards me.

"Aise kyun roka tumne, kisi ko chot lag jati toh (Why did you stop like that, anybody could get hurt)" Apaar scolded him a little and he apologized.

"Mhare ko maf kar do hukum. Manne aap logan ki jan bachane vaaste je kiya (Please forgive me my lord but I have done that to save your lives)" everybody frowned on his reply. He indicated towards a dune from where some lights were coming.