Job under threat

Alex POV

The continuous fluttering sound stirred me and my eyes snapped open to gaze into the carved ceiling and then to the source of sound. A neatly folded white paper was sitting on the top of window sill under the weight of a fist sized rock and it's loose ends was fluttering with the passing air. The morning breeze caressed my face when I reached to the paper.

I removed the weight from top of it and unfold it to reveal a blank surface. I turned the paper upside down, checked it from all angles and try to see through it to get any mark on it but it was just blank. I took the paper and about to turn when m right foot touched something on the floor. A matchbox was lying on the floor near the window. It contains a single matchstick but for what. I scratched my head and yawned widely.

"Who sneaked into my room and try this weird prank?" I asked myself and my inner voice remained asleep.

I settled myself on bed again and tossed the matchbox in my hand. My gaze shifted between the paper in my left hand and the matchbox with single stick in my right one. The matchbox was clicking something in my mind.

"Why would anyone put a blank paper with a matchbox?" I asked myself and then it hit me. I looked around and find a candelabrum standing elegantly in the center of the wall in front of my bed. I lighted the candlestick and move the paper over its flame a little. Words in black appear on the surface as I scroll the whole paper over the flame.

"Good morning Alex,

I knew you will be able to read this. Thanks for the help last night. You know when I have seen Gauri at this place, I was worried but now you are here so I am relieved. Take her out from this place as soon as possible. Don't try to dig out the things here as it will be dangerous for both of you. Do anything you could do but leave this place before the end of next month. Take care of her and yourself.

Jan rahi to fir milenge (We shall meet if I remain alive) Burn this letter after reading. "

I hold the paper from one corner and let the candle flame swallow it slowly and then engulf it completely. Who could be my well wisher?

"khamma ghani sahib, Ranaji ne apko nashte k liye bulawa bheja hai (Greetings sir, Ranaji has summoned you for breakfast" Bhwanji has lightly knocked the door and announced the message politely while I was hiding the ashes of paper in a vase.

"Bhuwan ji, Main das minute ata hu (I am coming in ten minutes)" the needles of the wallclock was making an uneven mustache depicting 7:25 of morning. I rushed into the shower and changed into a white buttondown shirt and sky blue denims. I saw my reflection in the mirror and find pair of blue eyes looking back at me. Time to change the eye color, I gently put on my contacts and completed my Indian look.

--------------------

Author's POV

"Aaj main Apaar ko mahal ki raiki karne bhejunga. Ek bar hum mahal ko achche se search kar lena chahte hai kyunki aksar is tarah k mahal me gupt dwar hote hain aur...(Today, I will send Apaar to check the whole palace. I want to search this palace once because commonly there is a secret door in such buildings and..)" the approaching footsteps has halted the old professor in the middle of his sentence and four pair of eyes moved to acknowledge the presence of the handsome archaeologist.

Gauri's eyes roamed all over him in a gentle caress and a pink blush crept under her cheeks. Princess Sunaina has not spared another glance towards him and resumed her breakfast. Ranaji has tore his eyes away from the map he prepared last night and give a slight nod in answer of his morning greeting while the old professor was literally shouting silently at him through his complaining glare.