Entwined destiny

Rose POV

"WHAT?? You knew him before our marriage" he scowled in disbelief.

"You knew that he was my twin brother?" His frown deepened while he squinted his eyes at me.

"No, I didn't know that he was your twin. I met him just few days before his death and thought it was you when I saw him then. I could have mistaken him as you if he hadn't grey eyes like your father." A pained expression appeared on his beautiful face but he hided it.

"Can you please tell me more about him? How was he, how you met him ....how he died?" He croaked at the last sentences.

"James, I would have never revealed this secret if Gauri has not fallen into Pratap trap. I always knew that if you will meet William ever then you must have doubt that why he looks similar to Alex and that's why I hided his existence from you." I was looking at the shattered pieces of glass near my feet.

"Well you have successfully hided this secret" his tone was sarcastic which I didn't like.

"Yes, when father mentioned about your twin then I have asked Susie to investigate about Geoffrey Carson, your brother."

"Susie knew about him" he raised his left eyebrow in question and I nodded in yes.

"Great, then what she has found" he has masked a serious expression and I felt like I am sitting in an interrogation room.

"She found that Geoffrey has been adopted by a childless couple and brought to England from an orphanage in Europe when he was around eight. His foster parents treated him well and educated him fairly. He has joined the police force and was doing very well." I paused and looked at James whose gaze was fixed on me.

"How you got to know him" I eyed him seriously before revealing the events of our entwined destiny.

Flashback

"Miss, Mrs. Johansson is here to meet you" I narrowed my gaze at our elderly maid and she told me that she is waiting in the lawn.

"Tell her, I am coming in a minute" What could bring her here? She never liked me because of my financial status but accepted my friendship with her daughter because of my noble title. She is a lady with attitude problem and if I know her well then coming to my house is against her nature.

I immediately put on my best gown and refined my appearance with little makeup and twisting my hair in an elegant bun.

"Good evening, Mrs. Johansson. How may I help you" I curtsied as elegantly as I could because she belonged to the royal family of Denmark.

"Miss Wilkinson, may I have a word with you in private?" She spoke so softly that I had to strain my ears to pick the words.

"Oh sure, please follow me. We can talk in my mother's study" She followed me without uttering a single word. I opened the door and waited for her to enter.

"Please close the door Miss" I nodded and closed the door before facing her.

"Please have a seat Ma'am" She didn't take seat but approached near to me and hold my hands.

"Rose, Please save Lattie" Her eyes become glassy and I have seen any emotion other than arrogance on her face for the first time.

"What happened Ma'am? What happened to Lattie?" She slowly pulled out a yellow paper from her purse and gave it to me.

I instantly recognized Lattie's handwriting and read the whole letter. She has apologized to her parents in the letter for ruining their reputation. She didn't mention the reason but she said that she is leaving the house for ever.