Part 11: Keys and Kisses

Thank you danz-m for the cover!!
Anyone who wants to send me a cover and have their work feature in my book send them to:
shortycharlotte.wattpad@gmail.com
with your username so I can give you a shoutout :)

The past few mornings I've been going to uni early and staying out for most of the day, simply to avoid seeing Mason. Luckily, our courses are in separate buildings so I don't have to risk seeing him between classes. The only time I would possibly see him, would be in the car park and at the apartment.

Lucky for me, he's out most of the time til late - probably off drinking and losing what little brain cells he has left with his mates.

Lucas and I had been meeting for coffee between lectures most days and he even came back to mine for a study sesh since I hate being alone in the apartment.

Mel seems to have forgotten I even exist. I swear she spends more time sharing milkshakes or whatever couples do with Cam than she has with me in the past week. I haven't even been at uni for two months and my social life has already gone down the plug hole.

Rolling out of bed and stumbling to my door, rubbing my eyes and walking straight into the door frame making the thud echo through my skull, I managed to make it to the kitchen somewhat unscathed to get myself some breakfast.

Attempting to pour my cereal into a bowl didn't go so well either, I'd managed to miss the bowl completely so my bran flakes scattered all over the counter. I stared at it for a moment contemplating my motor skills before scooping it up and into my bowl, pushing the rest back into the box - it's not like Mason will know...

The door of the fridge jingled with bottles and jars and when I reached for the bottle of milk, my eyes still half closed, I felt paper scrunch between my hand and the bottle.

It was sticky note stuck to the milk bottle and it had Mason's writing on it.

'Made you breakfast. Won't be home till Monday. Mason.' I read it again.

Why won't he be home until Monday? What time Monday? Why did he make me breakfast?

It was definitely way to early to be using this much brain power.
Sure as he'd said, there was a plate of pancakes sitting in the oven. Not even going to lie, it made me smile that he was considerate enough to actually do something kind.

Was this his way of apologising for being a dick? I don't know. Was I going to forgive him? I don't know that either.

A knock sounded at the door as I stacked my empty dishes in the dish washer and I hurried over to it, not at all hoping it was Mason...

I swung the door open and held my breath for no apparent reason, to be met by Lucas holding a big brown paper bag and two take-away coffees in the 'look what I have here' kind of way.

"Oh, hey." I said stepping to the side to let him walk through. My voice was a little deflated no matter how hard I tried to sound enthusiastic.

"Not who you were expecting?" he asked, glancing over his shoulder as I followed him to the kitchen where he set down the bag and coffee, sliding one in my direction.

"No, it's not that... well it is that but it's not in the way you're thinking." he just chuckled, rummaging around in the bag.

"Anyway, inside this bag are two of the best muffins in the world! I got them from that little urban cafe place I told you about. " he continued, pulling out two ginormous blueberry muffins in a paper napkins.

"I thought you might like something better for breakfast than cereal." he laughed and I awkwardly smiled at him.

"It's so lovely of you to do this, but I kinda already ate." I said, biting my lip and looking at him in cautiously, gaging his reaction.