Part 48: Big Boy Toys

So, as a little celebration for hitting #4 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in teen fiction I'd upload today and tomorrow as a massive thank you to all of you! Without you, I wouldn't be here and I'm truly thankful! Love you guys so much I can't put it into words (ironic I know :) )

An update will be coming tomorrow as well xxxx

We walked hand in hand into the dining room to join everyone for breakfast - to which I didn't miss the warm smile that adorned grandma Trudy's face at the sight of our hands.

"Morning all," I said cheerily and was met with a similar response.
Mason took his seat next to Colin and I next to Michelle who was sitting uncomfortably with her chair pulled so far back to accommodate for her growing belly that she couldn't reach the table.

"How many more weeks is it?" I asked, grabbing some toast from the toast wrack on the table.

"3 tomorrow but I'm a little nervous." She replied in a hushed tone, looking around to make sure everyone was preoccupied with their own conversation.

Michelle and I had always been close, she was essentially my older sister. When we were kids we used to go to the duck ponds together to feed the birds and see if we could catch any tadpoles to which dad used to take back to the duck ponds when we brought them home. Spoilsport.

"How so? The baby's fine isn't it?" I looked over my shoulder to see Mason chatting with Colin, and for the first time in a while, he didn't have that edge of worry written on his face. He actually seemed to be enjoying himself. It made me smile.

"Yeah, of course. I'm just worried that since we're so far away from a hospital," She caressed her belly, looking at it like it could pop like a balloon if handled too roughly. "If my waters broke she won't hang on til we reach there - oh no!"

I grinned as she smacked her hand to her mouth. She was going to tell all of us the sex tonight, but she'd just let it slip. I was happy, her not so much.

"I wasn't meant to tell you! Oh, now I've ruined the surprise!" She frowned and I laughed.

"Your secret's safe with me. Congratulations!" I gripped her hand in mine and kissed her cheek. I began to ask her more questions about how she was feeling and if the baby was kicking often when Mason tapped my shoulder.

"Ash! Colin has a drone, how cool is that!" He beamed like a school child.

"Not that bloody drone again. Seriously I'm going to break it." Muttered Michelle as she sipped her tea.

"We'll take it for a spin after breakfast in the backyard." Said Colin, giving Mason a bro nod and I rolled my eyes.

"We're not getting a drone, Mason," I said defiantly, buttering my toast.

"I'm not asking for one." He stuck his nose in the air.

"But you will, that's the problem."

I stood by the high ceiling glass windows watching Mason attempt to fly Colin's drone with Michelle and Colin's son Malcolm in my arms.

Malcolm had just turned two and was a pretty intelligent kid. He could make two-word sentences by now and could problem solve his way out of anything. Yesterday, he figured out that if he piled three books from the bookshelf on the floor next to the couch he could climb up onto it. Talk about child logic, this kid's gonna grow up to be a surgeon!

"Look over there, what's daddy doing?" I pointed over to Colin but kept my attention on Malcolm who currently had his hands in his mouth.

"Assley!" He cried out and I snorted.