Part 13: Morning Outings

Hello everyone, I'm sorry I haven't updated in ages - my fault, I've been busy. Anyway, here is another chapter. I hope you all enjoy! Don't forget to vote!

The suns blinding glare on my eyelids woke me up. Squinting and trying to fall back to sleep to no avail, I realised that my bed didn't face the window. So whose bed was I in?

I tried to turn over but was constricted in place as Masons arm wrapped impossibly tighter around my waist, pulling me to his chest.

How do I feel about this? My face grew a smile that my brain was telling me to suppress but I couldn't help but feel pleased that I had pulled him out of a dark place last night.

We stayed up late watching Tv, not talking but just simply sitting with each other. When I noticed that this breathing became shallower, I shut off the Tv and tried woke him just enough to drag him to his room. He fell onto the bed and pulled me with him, swaddling me so I couldn't leave... not that I tried very hard.

Just as I closed my eyes to go back to sleep, there was a loud knock on the front door. Who comes to the door on a Tuesday at seven in the morning? Whoever does that, seriously needs to learn to respect peoples lives.... It's Lucas. We had a morning run date. Damn.

I managed to wriggle from out under Masons arm and pad over the door, rubbing my eyes.

Lucas was standing there looking wide awake and alive, while I looked considerably less of those two things.

"I see you remembered our morning run date." he said sarcastically, chuckling and gesturing behind me.

"I'll wait while you get changed, you've got ten minutes before I drag you out into the morning sun." Bless his soul for being enthusiastic.

"Uh, look Lucas, I don't think I'll be able to come today, sorry. My roommate is feeling too well and I've been up all night looking after him and-" lies and lies and lies, followed by my lie of an unwell roommate walking out his room running his hand through his hair and down his face asking for me.

I sighed with a small moan and turned to Mason, if looks could kill boy he would be a pile of dust.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Mason gritted out through his teeth glaring at Lucas. I turned to gage Lucas's reaction and he had the same expression. Both men looked murderous.

"What is going on here?" I asked slowly, moving to stand between them incase they decided to run at each other like bulls.

Neither boys answered , their breathing gathering speed and the air becoming denser. Lucas took a step forward before recalculating and walking out the door, slamming it behind him.

Not going to lie, I felt a little pang in my chest at that. I had half a ind to smell my breath to see if that drove him away, but thought better not seeing as I didn't get a chance to brush my teeth last night...

"He's your boyfriend!?" yelled Mason, pointing towards the door and advancing towards me. I stepped back, feeling panicked and sucked in a breath.

"Yes." I squeaked out when my back was against the wall and he was in my face. Well, no, Lucas wasn't my boyfriend - not even close really - but the close proximity of Mason and the anger overwhelming his eyes as he sucked in breath after breath made me think that right now probably wasn't the best time to describe the complexity of our relationship. The circles under his eyes grew a shade darker as I stared up at his face in my enclose of the wall and his body.

I reached up to run my thumbs over the shadows and he flinched, taking step back from me.

"I don't want you seeing him. Ever." he muttered, his fists in balls by his sides. This made me angry, he had no right to determine who I saw.

"I will if I want to Mason." I crossed my arms over my chest, maintaining my stance that I hope he couldn't see was shaking. His eyes widened as if I had dared to disobey him.

"Do as I say, Ashley."

"Who do you think you are?" I exclaimed, my arms throwing themselves into the air and slapping my thighs on their way down.

"Why can't you just do as I say?" He began pacing back and forth in front of me.

"Because you aren't my father! I am allowed to see whoever I want."

"Not when it's Lucas!" he was in my face again, invading my personal space so I pushed him back.

"Why Mason? Why Lucas? Because when you were being a dick, he was there. When you left, he was there. When I had no one to talk to, because my best friend is dating your best friend and you were in whoop-whoop, he was there." I drew in a painful breath and continued. "He is kind and sweet unlike you. Your bad-boy-alpha-male act doesn't work on me Mason, because I know that this thin layer of bully is covering up a whole world of insecurity."

His face was solid stone, his eyes never leaving mine as I emptied my mind of truth and assumption. I paused before speaking softly, almost so soft I couldn't hear myself in my ringing ears.

"I can't keep up with your mood swings. One minute you're wanting to kiss me and hold me, next you're wanting me to leave you alone." I give a sad little laugh followed my a slow shake of my head as I stare at the space between his feet. I calm my breathing before I speak next, lifting my eyes to his and ensuring there was no redness for tears. "Give me a call when you've figured it out."

I picked up my keys off the coffee table and walked out of the apartment and down to the garage where I drove all the way to Mels.

"I don't know what to do." I said, my face in my hands as Mel poured me a cup of coffee.

"Well, how do you feel about Lucas?" So matter of fact, so ready to solve the worlds problems. Mel had always been that way.

"I like him, I really do. He's so sweet and kind, and right now I could kill Mason." I gritted through my teeth, he's so frustrating.

Mell pursed her lips deliberating something. I stared at her expectantly, when she didn't say anything I snapped my fingers in front of her face.

"Hello Asking for help here."

"Look, I know Mason is a jerk but I still think you should cut him some slack." she said, turning away from me to put the kettle away.

I scoffed.

"Cut him some slack? The guy is annoying as hell and repulsive; last week he put his dirty undies in with mine in the washing machine! He never fills the dishwasher properly, he is always playing that stupid guitar of his in his room and he smells amazing!" I clapped my hands over my mouth as Mel burst with laughter.

By the time she'd calmed down I'd finished my cup of coffee and was drumming my fingers on the table.

"He treats me like a child." I whispered. Mel sighed and put her hand on mine, consoling me.

"Maybe he's trying to protect you. Look, Cam told me some stuff about Mason and I really think you should cut him some slack."

"What stuff?"

"Nuh-uh." She waved her hand in the air to dismiss me. "You'll just have to wait for him to tell you."