Part 14: Vulnerable State of Mind

Hey everyone! I'm sorry it's been so long since I last posted and I'm also sorry that this chapter has not been proofread.

"How is it fair that you know more about him than I do, and I'm his... roommate."

"Well, I kinda bullied it out of Cameron." She laughed, looking proud of herself as she crossed her arms triumphantly.

"You do have a knack of doing that." I smirked taking a drink from my mug as she stuck her tongue out at me.

We sat in silence for a while, enjoying our coffee and mulling over what's been said.

"Uh..." she started.

"What?" I asked, following her eyes to my bag on the floor.

"You're not expecting to spend the rest of the week here are you?"

"Well, I was thinking at least a night or two. Why?" I asked, a little defence in my voice, as I sat back in my chair leering at her with squinted eyes.

"Well, Cam was coming over tonight and-" she began but I jumped up and grabbed my stuff silencing her with my hand.

"Ew no stop. I'll be gone. Thanks anyway." I called over my shoulder as I walked out the door, huffing as I slid into my jeep.

"Great." I muttered to myself. Where was I going to stay? Then a thought popped into my head and I was dialling my phone faster than you could say sleeping bag.

"Mel, does Cam have roommates?" I asked hurriedly.

"No he lives in a tiny ass apartment on Chapel street. That's why he spends so much time at mine." I did an inner dance of hoorah!

"Do you think he would mind if I stayed at his for a night? I wouldn't ask but the way it's looking now I'm going to be living out of my jeep.

She deliberated for a moment, her tongue clicking through the phone before inviting me back up.

"I'll ask him when he gets her. I don't see why he won't say yes." She shrugged.

I made myself comfy on the couch and just as I was starting to doze off, Cam came through the door.

"Mel, babe, I think you still have my bio book- oh, hey Ashley." She said, giving me an awkward wave.

"Hey Cam, you know you're a really great guy and will definitely one day end up winning a novel prize.." I said in a sickly sweet voice.

"What do you want?" He chuckled.

"The keys to your apartment? I wouldn't ask but I'm currently homeless."

"What happened? Why aren't you living with Mason anymore?" He quizzed, as Mel came up behind us and slumped into my spot on the couch.

"Nothing serious, but I can't stay there for now. Please, I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate." I pleaded, bringing my hands under my chin with a smile.

He sighed before reaching into his back pocket to take a small red key off the key chain. He handed it over to me cautiously.

"Just don't burn my place down." I laughed and jumped up and down, dancing around him and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thanks guys! Enjoy tonight!" I cheered, dancing towards the door. I made it half way down the stairs before running back and knocking on the door rapidly.

When it opened I poked my head through.
"What's your address?"

I drove around for a while, stopping off at the shops to buy some groceries for dinner and some snacks for lunch. I bought Cam a chocolate cake from this amazing bakery around the corner to leave for him.