Part 42: You said

I feel like some of these chapters just get shorter and shorter but my next ones are intense and long so I can't wait for you to read them! I will update this chapter sometime soon with the date for the next lot of chapters!

Love you guys! Enjoy!

"What was that?" Asked Mason through gritted teeth. He wasn't looking at me though I was watching him. His face had paled slightly though it was now gaining a slightly red tinge to it

Claire looked between us, confused and awkward.

"I was thanking Ashley for her dad giving you a job?" Her brows crinkled as she wondered why Mason was so angry.

I placed my hand on his knee under the table and he swatted it away, reefing his chair with a scrape from under the table to stand and run his hands through his hair.

"Mason, I was going to tell you-" I began but when he turned to me his eyes were filled with fire and it made me recoil.

Still watching me he spoke to Claire.

"Go to your room." He said, attempting to keep his composure but I could see it breaking a the seams.

"But Mason I'm the one who-"

"For god sake Claire, go to your room!" She left as silently as she could, leaving Mason and me in a wild staring contest.

I refuse to be dragged through the mud. I thought to myself. What I had done was out of support and love. I would do it for Mel, I would do it for anyone I cared about.

We continued to stare at one another for a few minutes longer, not saying anything simply letting our breathing fill the room. His eyes never gave up the fire that was burning beneath them and I hadn't realised I'd risen from my chair.

"Mason, if you let me explain-"

"I asked you not to get involved and what did you do? Go behind my back. Do you feel the need to mess up every situation you get into? I mean first Lucas starting shit in our lives, then Dr Ross which is potentially gonna get me expelled from O'Brien, " His voice was more composed yet there was a sting in his words that I tried to ignore.

"Mason, you're upset and you don't mean anything you're saying,"

"Oh, don't I?" A menacing smirk crept onto his face and he started to pace. I could feel the stinging behind my eyes but pushed it away, crossing my arms over my chest and widening my stance.

"I didn't do this for you, Mason. I did it for Claire. Do you realise that?" I raised my voice and I think this surprised him because he stopped pacing and looked at me with unreadable eyes.

"It impacts me though, doesn't it? I knew this whole situation was too good to be true." He laughed a menacing and sarcastic laugh causing me to grimace.

"Mason, please I just wanted to help- this is my way of saying that I will stay with you through thick and thin- please Mason, try to understand," I begged, stepping towards him and taking a handful of his shirt in my fist and trying to get him to look at me.

He looked everywhere other than me and I could feel the tears breaking through my lashes. I hated making him mad and for some horrible reason, it felt as though I had really messed up this time.

"You know what," he removed my hands from his shirt and pushed me away gently. "Since you've got it all figured out around here, I'll let you be. You take care of everything, just like you always do." He brushed past me and walked out of the apartment leaving the door open behind him. I chased him, my voice becoming hysterical as I called after him.