one | christian yelich

just wait | for brooklyn

"Who is that?" Christian asked, leaning against the batting cage as he looked towards the dugout

"Not sure," Giancarlo answered, figuring he was looking at the girl that was talking with Dee.

"She's so pretty," Christian muttered, eyes scanning over her for a second before he turned back towards the field.

"Oh, does Yelich have a crush?" Giancarlo teased.

"I just said she was pretty, G," he argued.

"That's how my relationship with my wife started," he said.  "Of course, I actually went up and talked to her.

"I could if I wanted to," Christian said, looking back at her.  The way she smiled and laughed along with Dee, it made his heart skip a beat.  She was perfect.  As soon as Dee was gone, he was going to talk to her.

-

You sat in the dugout, watching the Marlins batting practice.  Dee had left a few minutes ago, and you didn't know what to do other than watch and hope that someone would come talk to you.

"Hey," a voice said.  You looked up to see your favorite player, Christian Yelich, walking down the steps.  He sat next to you as you tried to contain your excitement.

"Hi!" you said, giving him a smile.  You held out your hand.  "I'm Brooklyn."

"I'm Christian," he said, shaking your hand.

"I know who you are, silly," you said.  You leaned forward slightly, covering your mouth.  "You're my favorite player, just don't tell Dee that."

Christian laughed. "I won't.  Are you two related?"

"No, we're not.  I've been friends with him since I was, like, two years old," you explained.

"I see," Christian said, pausing for a moment.  "Why haven't I seen you before?"

"I just moved here," you answered.  "I used to live in (Place), but my parents decided that we should move here so we can see my grandparents more often."

"So you'll be at more games then?"

"Yup!" you answered happily.  "Dee leaves me tickets, and gets me on the field before games."

"I'll look forward to seeing you more often, then," Christian said. You smiled.

"I'll look forward to seeing you, too."

-

"So, I see you finally talked to that girl," Giancarlo said as the team got changed after their game, which they had won 6-2.

"Yeah," Christian said.

"You mean Brooklyn?" Dee asked.

"Yeah," Giancarlo answered.  "He thinks she's hot."

Christian gave him a look.

"Dude, she's only seventeen."

"What?"

The next few months were torture for both you and Christian.  Christian was torn.  He loved you, he couldn't deny it, but he felt that getting into a relationship would ruin your school experience.  He was too old for you, and he knew it.

You, on the other hand, just wished he would confess already.  Even before you had met, you had a huge crush on him, which grew even bigger as you got to know him.  You wished that he would finally say something, or that you would finally get the guts to tell him.

It was one day, after a great game where Christian had gone 5 for 5, when you decided to tell him.  You waited, just like you always did, for the players to finish changing.  You said goodbye to them as they left, mentally checking off the people that were gone.

Once you were pretty sure everyone had left, you knocked on the locker room door, opening it when Christian told you to come in.  You had told him to stay because you wanted to talk to him.

"Hey, Brooklyn," he said.

"Hi," you said nervously.

"What did you want to talk about?"

"I, uh, wanted to tell you something," you said, taking a deep breath.  "I just wanted you to know that I really like you."

Looking up, you expected him to be disgusted.  You expected him to push you away and leave and never talk to you again.  Instead, you were met with a smile.

"Well, that's good, because I like you, too," he said, pausing for a moment.  "But, I don't think this is going to work out yet."

"What?" you asked quietly, a little surprised.

"You're only seventeen.  You should spend your time being a normal high schooler, rather than getting caught up in drama with me.  You should go to college and do what you want with your life without me getting in the way."

"You know you wouldn't-"

"I've been thinking about this for a long time, and even if you don't think so, this is what's best," he said, pausing for a moment.  "When we're older, we'll be together I promise.  Okay?"

You took a deep breath, calming yourself down as you decided on an answer.

"Okay."

tysm for the request

i was trying to get this one done quick because i saw you had a book with this plot and i didnt wanna copy anything haha.  anyways, i hope you liked it!