twenty six | andrew benintendi

day with dad

You walked into the kitchen, putting the last bag of groceries on the kitchen counter before walking into the living room

You walked into the kitchen, putting the last bag of groceries on the kitchen counter before walking into the living room. Your husband, Andrew, was sitting on the floor with your 5-year-old daughter, Marielle. He looked up at the sound of you walking in and Marielle did the same.

"Mommy!" she exclaimed, jumping off his lap and running over to you.

"Hi, sweetie," you said, leaning over to pick her up. "How was your day with daddy?"

"Amazing!" she answered with a big smile. You smiled, kissing her forehead before putting her down. Andrew walked over to you and snaked his arm around your back before kissing you on the lips.

"Thanks for taking care of her, babe," you said.

"It was fun," he said. "You know I'm trying to spend as much time with her as I can."

"Yeah. This is really great for her. I'm sure it'll be great for the new baby, too."

You pulled away from Andrew as Marielle called for you.

"Movie!" she exclaimed.

"You've already watched two movies today, sweetie," Andrew said, crouching down in front of her.

"Movie!" she repeated.

"What movie?" you questioned.

"Frozen!" she answered, causing Andrew to chuckle.

"Why don't you watch something different?" he offered. Marielle crossed her arms and shook her head.

You chuckled before walking back into the kitchen where your phone was. You picked it up, opening your music app. You walked into the living room as you pressed play on the song Let It Go, which was Marielle's favorite.

She looked up at you with sparkling eyes as she smiled widely. You laughed at her reaction, walking over to Andrew as she began to sing along loudly.

Andrew was busy for most of the year. He was a major league baseball player after all. Even when he had home games he was not home for long and didn't get to spend lots of time with Marielle. It was hard, but it was your life.

Therefore, you cherished moments like this, where you could spend time together as a family. Though you loved watching your husband play, you still loved the off-season. It felt like what you had always wanted; a family with the person you loved most.

Marielle continued to sing along to the songs for a while, trying to get Andrew to sing even though he refused like always. After a while, you had realized it had gotten late and you should probably put Marielle to bed. However, she was very energetic so you decided to bring her into your room and let her sleep with you.

Andrew set her down on the bed where she stood up and began jumping around. You chuckled as you got into bed next to her. Andrew did the same, laying down on the opposite side.

"Time for bed, Marielle," you said. She flopped down in between you and Andrew and you helped cover her with the blankets. She laid on her back, looking up at the ceiling.

"Mommy, when is the baby gonna be here?" she asked.

"In a few months, sweetie," you answered.

"Why does it take so long?" she complained, causing both you and Andrew to laugh.

"They'll be here sooner than you think," Andrew told her. "Are you excited to be an older sister?"

She nodded. "I'm gonna be the best big sister ever!"

You laughed. "Yes, you are, sweetie. Now, it's time to sleep."

Marielle curled up next to you, closing her eyes. "Goodnight, mommy. Goodnight, daddy."

You looked over at Andrew with a smile on your face. "Goodnight. I love you both."

05

05.01.17