fifty four | whit merrifield

distraction | for alisa

"Alisa," her older brother, Eric Hosmer, began, gesturing to the field in front of him, "welcome to spring training!"

"This is so cool!" Alisa gushed, her eyes sparkling as she looked out at the field.

"Here, I'll show you around," Eric offered, walking towards the field. Alisa followed him closely, excited to see the facility where the Kansas City Royals would hold spring training.

Eric guided his excited younger sister around, showing her the building that he had gotten to know very well. He started with the field before showing her behind the scenes, where most of the players spent their time. So, it was only a matter of time before they ran into someone.

"Hey, Hosmer!"

Both Eric and Alisa turned at the sound of the voice, met with Whit Merrifield jogging towards them. Alisa blushed almost instantly. Unknown to Eric, she had a huge crush on Whit.

"Hey, Whit," Eric greeted, not noticing his younger sister's red face.

"Is this your younger sister which I've heard so much about?" Whit questioned, looking over at Alisa.

Eric looked over at her, expecting her to answer for him, but quickly realized she wasn't going to. He became suspicious almost instantly but continued to respond. "Yes. This is my sister, Alisa," he informed placing a hand on her back in hopes it would snap her out of whatever trance she was in. It seemed to work, as she practically jumped upon contact.

"Hi, Alisa. I'm Whit," he said, sticking his hand out for her to shake. "Nice to meet you."

She stared at him for a moment, like she didn't understand the gesture, before reaching out and shaking his hand. "You, too," she said quietly.

"I just showing Alisa around," Eric explained. "It's her first time here."

"I'll leave you to it, then," Whit said, smiling at Alisa. "See ya."

As the two siblings walked away, Eric looked over at Alisa. She was staring at the ground, her face still red.

"Are you alright?" Eric questioned.

"Huh?" She looked up at Eric before smiling. "Yeah, of course."

Though he didn't believe her, he nodded in response.

From there, things went down hill for Whit. He was falling head over heels in love with Alisa, his teammates younger sister. There had to be some unwritten rule about that, right? Either way, it sure didn't stop him, though almost nothing could. He hated it, though, because he was so distracted by her that he couldn't seem to play. He was striking out a lot and making a lot of mistakes on the field.

As he saw it, for as long as she was at the games, there was nothing he could do about it.

"Are you okay?" Eric asked one day after Whit had gone 0-4 yet again with another error.

Whit looked up at him, debating what to say. "I need to talk to you," he glanced around, "alone."

Eric raised an eyebrow but agreed. They walked out into the hallway and Whit made sure there was no one around before saying anything.

"Honestly, Eric. I'm in love with you sister, and I've been so distracted by her that I don't know what to do but I can't get her out of my mind."

Eric stared at him for a moment. "Just ask her out, Whit."

"You're not mad?"

He laughed loudly, startling Whit slightly. "Of course not. She loves you, too."

i love whit's name idk why

09.03.17