forty nine | andrew benintendi

sun and sand | for jennie

-"Andrew! Let's go!" Jennie called over her shoulder, holding the boogie board under her arm as she looked over at her best friend, Andrew, who was grabbing various things from the trunk of her car

"Hold on!" he yelled back, causing Jennie to giggle at how annoyed he sounded. She could tell he wasn't actually annoyed; Jennie had known him long enough to be able to pick up on that.

Currently, the two friends were at the beach. It was the off season for Andrew and their families had traveled to Hawaii for a week long vacation. It was nearing the end of the trip and Jennie had wanted to go boogie boarding one last time. Luckily for her, Andrew had agreed to go with her. Besides, who would want to miss the chance to see a major league baseball player shirtless?

If Jennie was being honest, she had feelings for Andrew. However, she had never admitted this to anyone in the fear that someone would tell him and ruin their friendship. She trusted her friends, but the risk was too high.

"I'll race ya!" Jennie yelled before taking off towards the empty beach.

"That's not fair!" he yelled in response, struggling to carry everything and run at the same time. Jennie laughed at his struggles before jogging back to help him carry a few things.

Together, the two walked towards the beach, taking in the beautiful Hawaiian scenery. Once they had found a spot they liked Jennie dropped what she was carrying, grabbing a boogie board and running towards the water. Andrew grabbed the other board and followed her, both of them running into the water and splashing it everywhere. Luckily, the water wasn't too cold, or the two of them would have been out in a heartbeat.

They stayed in the water for a while, trying and failing to ride the waves on their small boogie boards. Eventually, Jennie got tired of trying and decided to mess with Andrew instead. When Andrew had turned away from her after being knocked over by a wave, she took her chance. She ran towards him before jumping on his shoulders, trying to dunk him into the water. However, he seemed to anticipate her actions as he moved out of the way, causing her to fall into the water with a shriek.

"I hate you!" she yelled, wiping the water out of her eyes as Andrew stood in front of her, looking proud. She couldn't stay mad at him, though, because she started laughing. Catching her off guard, he dashed towards her, causing her to shriek and run away.

She was only able to run away for a few moments. Andrew was faster and stronger than he and quickly had his arms wrapped around her, stopping her from going anywhere. As she struggled to get free she ended up facing him, her face becoming dangerously close to his. The two seemed to realize this at the same moment as Andrew's hands moved down to rest on her hips. They were closer than just friends should be. Upon realizing this Jennie pulled away, walking off to grab the boogie board which had drifting off towards the beach. What she didn't notice was Andrew swearing quietly in frustration.

For the rest of the day, they pretending like it didn't happen. Sure, they both thought about it, but no one said anything and they were fine with that.

By the time the sun was setting they were laying on the beach, having tired themselves out from being in the water for so long. Jennie glanced over at Andrew in the silence that had fallen between them, noticing how his curly brown hair had begun to dry. She had always liked his long hair; it was nice to play with.

Andrew noticed she was staring and looked back at her. To make things less awkward, she said, "Today was really fun, Andrew."

"Yeah, it was," he agreed. "It's sad we have to go home soon."

"Yeah," Jennie agreed quietly.

"Hey, about earlier..."

"Don't worry about it. It was my fault," she said quickly, slightly embarrassed by the subject.

"That's not what I meant, Jennie," Andrew said, sitting up. Jennie looked up at him, her heart racing. "I've liked you for a long time now."

She looked at him with wide eyes. He looked completely serious -- this wasn't a joke at all. She was practically speechless. She couldn't believe that her best friend, who she had been in love with for the longest time, felt the same way.

"I'm sorry, I--"

"I like you too, Andrew."

y'all i have never been so sore in my life

y'all i have never been so sore in my life. volleyball is kicking my ass lmao

08.23.17