cxv | andrew benintendi

cabaret

Jennie groaned loudly as she strummed the wrong string on her acoustic guitar, becoming increasingly frustrated with her awful playing

Jennie groaned loudly as she strummed the wrong string on her acoustic guitar, becoming increasingly frustrated with her awful playing. All she felt like doing was repeatedly slamming the guitar into her head. She wasn't even sure why she had decided to learn guitar for this stupid performance, anyway.

From across her bedroom, her best friend, Andrew, laughed at her frustration. He had been quite surprised when Jennie had announced that she would be learning guitar for a performance at their school, but her struggle was somewhat entertaining. She glared back at him before looking back down at the guitar.

Her fingers pulsed as they pressed against the strings, and she wondered why no one had warned her how damn painful playing was. She had repeatedly wondered if this was all worth it, but she always came to the conclusion that it would be.

In reality, Jennie was learning guitar for Andrew. They had been best friends for years, but that year, something had changed for Jennie. Unfortunately, she had developed strong feelings for Andrew. So, she decided to confess to him during the last performance of the year by singing him a song. 

She didn't want anyone to know about her plan, so she decided to take on the song by herself, instead of having her musically-talented friend accompany her. Sure, she could get away with practicing the song without giving an explanation, but it felt much more personal if it was just her. 

Though Andrew was there when she practiced fairly often, she never sang the lyrics in front of him. He was the last person she wanted to know about her intentions. She had been mentally preparing for the day for months, and she wasn't sure what she was going to do if that day came early. He had no clue what the song was and she refused to tell him the title, so she had had no problems so far.

That fated Friday came up a bit too quickly and though Jennie still wasn't amazing at guitar, she felt that she was good enough to not hurt everyone's ears.

"You're gonna do great, like always," Andrew told her with a smile as they stood near the door to the band room, where she was waiting for her turn to perform. They had been there for almost an hour while others performed, and she was going last.

"Thanks, Andrew," Jennie replied, smiling back at him. "I'll try my best."

"Like you always do," he said with an awkward wave before joining the crowd in the auditorium just down the hall.

Jennie sighed, anxiety bubbling in her chest as she thought about what she was about to do. She never really got that nervous about performing, but she was mainly nervous about the confession. She couldn't remember not being best friends with Andrew, and she wasn't really sure what she would do if this ruined their friendship.

She heard the second to last act end and she stepped out of the band room, her old and hopefully still in tune guitar in her hands. Her heart raced as she stepped out onto the stage, smiling nervously as she heard her friends cheer from the crowd. Andrew was among them, and she looked up at him, locking eyes with him for a moment before looking back down at the floor.

She sat down on the stool, adjusting the microphones to the right height before looking over at him again.

"This one is dedicated to my best friend," she said shakily," Andrew."

Jennie sighed, looking down at her guitar and moving her fingers to play the first chord before strumming.

Could this be love at first sight, or should I walk by again?

At the end of the song, Jennie's legs shook as she stood up, waving to the audience before quickly making her way off of the stage. She retreated back to the band room, putting her guitar away while trying to calm her racing heart.

She heard the door open and whipped around to see Andrew quickly walking towards her. She braced for whatever he was about to do to her, but instead, he moved his hands to the side of her face, bringing her in for a little-too-rough kiss.

"Now I know why you wouldn't tell me," he joked when they pulled away, a big smile on his face.

"Aren't you glad I didn't?"

Andrew simply nodded his head.

ahh i like this one

i love this song and i've been trying to learn it but its hard af for me. i've only been playing guitar for a couple weeks so i'm not too good at it yet lol

08.04.18