kendall graveman

PITCHER AND CATCHER | for J_Baez9

-

"Emma," Bob Melvin called, grabbing her attention. "Come with me."

Emma hesitantly did as she was told. Being a bullpen catcher for the Oakland Athletics, this was a very rare occurrence and she began to become nervous. She hoped Bob, the manager, had good news for her, but by the look on his face, she couldn't tell.

She sat down in the chair in front of Bob's desk. He sat in his chair, leaning forward.

"So, due to some," he paused, "unfortunate circumstances, Bruce can't make it until game time. Because of this, we're going to need you to warm up Graveman before the game."

Emma froze. Ever since she had joined the team, she had a crush on Kendall Graveman. They had only talked a couple of times, but her feelings were strong. Something about him had captured her and never let her go, nor did it intend to.

"Emma," Bob said, snapping her out of her trance. "Is that okay?"

"O-of course," she stuttered. "Thank you."

"Thanks," he said, smiling at her before she left the room.

She walked to her locker, her heart beating a mile a minute. After all this time, she was finally going to be able to catch for him. For the first time, she would be warming Kendall up for his start.

"So, I heard you're warming me up today." Emma turned to see Kendall, which only worsened her shock. Noticing she was nervous, he chuckled. "Don't stress about it. I'm looking forward to it."

He didn't wait for her to try to form a sentence before walking away, joining a conversation with a couple of teammates almost immediately. Emma just watched him leave, still trying to comprehend what was happening.

Even it was only for warm-ups, she was catching for Kendall Graveman.

After BP for both teams was over, Emma threw on her catcher's gear before finding Kendall. He now looked locked in, showing little emotion as they headed onto the field. They did the normal warm-up that Kendall usually performed with Bruce before moving to the bullpen.

As she crouched in front of the plate in the bullpen, watching his movement as he stepped on the rubber, it was still surreal. She could believe she was actually catching for him. Even if she wasn't catching for him in a game, it was a dream come true.

The first pitch almost caught her off guard. She had been so focused on him that she had almost forgotten she was catching. She managed to keep it in her glove, though, before throwing it back to Kendall.

They continued this until the game started. She jogged over to him, walking along with him as he walked towards the bullpen door.

"Looked good, Kendall," she said, trying to push her feelings aside and be professional. Kendall just nodded before heading out onto the field.

The game resulted in a 3-2 win for the A's after Kendall's quality start. After changing, Emma sat in the locker room on her phone. She was texting her friend and hadn't even noticed that Kendall had walked up to her.

"I don't know if anyone has told you this," he began, catching her attention, "but you're a really good catcher."

"Oh, t-thanks," she stuttered.

Kendall smiled. "I'd be glad to have you catch for me again."

--------------------------

this dudes name is amazing

09.20.17