cxiv | jason varitek

rivals (but not really)

"Hey, have any of you seen Kathy?" Jason questioned aloud as he sat in the Red Sox clubhouse, surrounded by various teammates as they waited for their game against the Yankees to start

"Nope," Tim Wakefield answered, pausing for a moment before speaking up again. "Why do you care, anyway? You guys are like mortal enemies."

Tim wasn't wrong. From the moment Jason and Kathy met, they had taken a disliking to each other. It made sense. Jason, the captain of the Boston Red Sox, had tried to flirt with Kathy, the daughter of one of the Yankees head office members. Obviously, Kathy didn't quite appreciate being hit on by a Red Sox player, of all people. From there, their little playful rivalry began.

Obviously, Jason didn't actually hate Kathy. He pretended that he did to go along with her actions. She had seemed to hate him since they had met, and Jason wasn't exactly sure if it was part of the act or if she genuinely hated him.

"Just curious. She never misses games when we play the Yankees," Jason defended. "It's odd that she isn't here."

Tim shrugged. "Probably just busy."

Jason couldn't help but feel disappointed that Kathy was nowhere to be seen. He had grown to look forward to games against the Yankees, not only because of the famed rivalry but because it meant seeing his favorite enemy. 

Through the four-game series at Fenway Park, Jason never saw Kathy. It was disappointing, to say the least, but Jason focused on the fact that the Red Sox had completed the sweep and not that she was gone. 

When the Red Sox visited Yankee Stadium just a short month later, Kathy was absent yet again. Jason was somewhat concerned now. Baseball was her love, her passion. There was no chance she would miss games like these.

Not like Jason cared, though.

The next time the Red Sox and Yankees met, in late September, just before playoffs, Jason's mouth almost dropped open when he spotted Kathy. She was sitting near the Yankees dugout, looking around with an amused look on her face.

Jason walked over to her almost immediately, oddly excited to talk to her again. It was normal to want to see your enemy, right?

"Hey, Kathy!" he called, walking over to her with a small smirk painting his face. She looked up at him, a confused look on her face.

"I'm sorry, you are?" she questioned, and Jason laughed, thinking that it was a joke. He quickly stopped when he realized that she was definitely not laughing along, but staring up at him with the same confused expression.

"Wait, really?" Kathy nodded. "Uh, I'm Jason. What happened to you?"

"My dad tells me I was in an accident, and I've lost most of my memory," Kathy admitted, looking down at her hands. It was awfully odd to see Kathy like this. She had been full of fire and now she was shy and quiet. "I'm sorry that I don't remember you."

"That's fine," he replied, unsure of what to say. "We weren't really the closest. More like enemies, rather."

Kathy nodded. "Yes, you sounded familiar. I'm supposed to hate you, aren't I?"

Jason chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you are."

She hummed, thinking for a moment. "As far as I can tell, I never really did."

i'm sad i never got to watch tek play :/

08.03.18