eight | dansby swanson

road trip | for kellie

"Swanson, hurry up!" you yelled upstairs at your best friend

"Shut up, Kellie!" he yelled back.

"You shut up!"

You laughed as you could hear Dansby storming down the stairs. As he raced into the room, his shirt was half on and his hair was a mess. For some reason, you found it really cute.

"Why do we have to leave so early?" he complained as he put his bags down. You watched as he moved his hands to his chest to button his shirt, but you quickly looked away to prevent from getting caught.

"You're the one that told me when we were leaving," you said.

"I regret that completely," he said, causing both of you to laugh.

"I'll drive," you told him, picking up a bag. You smiled slightly as he celebrated, glad he was able to relax for a while. "I'll load the car. Go make yourself look good."

"I always look good," he joked.

"Sure ya do."

Honestly, he was right. He pretty much managed to look cute no matter what, though he probably would never know you thought that. He would never know how you felt.

The truth was, you were in love with your best friend.

You weren't sure when it happened, but you were head over heels in love with him. Everything he did seemed perfect, whether it was while playing baseball or just hanging out. Now, you were going to spend every moment together for three straight days. Today, you were going on a road trip.

You looked over at him as you closed the trunk of his car. He was closing the front door of his house, bags in hand. He had managed to get his shirt buttoned and hair brushed.

"Finally decided to get out of bed?" you asked. Dansby rolled his eyes as he opened the car door to put his bags in the back. You watched as he sat in the seat next to you, looking over at you.

"We're really doing this," he said.

You smiled. "Yeah, we are."

From there, you were pretty much in the car all day. You and Dansby took turns driving, and you only stopped every few hours to go to the bathroom. Now, it was 2 a.m. and you were sitting in the parked car, trying to get some sleep. You had propped the passenger seat back as far back as it would go, to the point where it was almost resting on Dansby's legs. Dansby had moved the bags to the floor and was laying across the back seats. However, you couldn't sleep. For some reason, you were wide awake.

"Hey, Dansby?" you said quietly, not expecting a response.

"Yeah?" he responded.

"Oh, you are awake," you said.

"I can't sleep," he told you.

"Me neither," you said, sighing.

"Do you want to get going?" he asked.

"Not unless you want to drive," you answered. He groaned.

"I feel like I'm going to fall asleep if I try to drive," he said, causing you to chuckle slightly.

"That's probably true."

It was quiet for a few moments as you stared up at the ceiling.

"You know, I can't believe we're finally doing this," you said quietly.

"Yeah," he agreed. "We've been talking about this since we were kids."

"It seems like so long ago," you muttered. It was silent again as you got an idea. You lifted your head, grabbing the pillow under you and throwing it at him.

"We were having a moment!" Dansby exclaimed.

"Too bad," you said, sticking your tongue out. He threw the pillow back at you, hitting you in the face. You made a face at the taste of the pillow as you picked it up. "You're asking for it, Swanson!"

"You started it!" he said. You threw the pillow at him before sitting up and not-so-gracefully jumping into the back seat. You were met with a pillow to the face again as you tripped over the bags on the floor, falling on top of Dansby. You could hear him laugh and as you pulled the pillow out of his hands, you saw how close your face was to his. You almost jumped at the hand on your back and he smiled.

"Dansby," you muttered. You weren't sure whether he had leaned in or you had or you both had but suddenly his lips were on yours. Just as quickly as they came, they were gone and you were looking into his eyes again.

"Kellie," he said, pausing. "I love you."

Even after the kiss, you were kind of surprised by his sudden confession.

"Dansby," you repeated, cracking a small smile as you pressed your forehead to his. "I love you, too."

He smiled, pulling you closer. You put your arms around him the best you could

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to tell you that."

road trips + pillow fights = pretty much my fav things

thanks for requesting!

12.17.16