8

The next day I didn't go to the restaurant for rehearsal because Jake wanted to look for the sheet music for the songs we had picked, so that settled me in the house to organize things, tidy things up, and, eventually, take a break. When all of that was done, I head over to S.T.A.R. Labs to be with Barry and the others on trying to figure something out to keep Professor Stein stable. When I walk into the Cortex, I see Jax with Barry, Professor Stein, Cisco, and Caitlin. "Jax! You came." I say pushing a piece of hair behind my ear. "I thought about what you said, and I realized that you guys were right." he says and I smile at him. I walk over to Barry and grab his hand, "You could've texted me that Jax was here. I would've come sooner." I tell him telepathically. He just looks at me and mouths a sorry on his lips and I just smile at him. "I thought S.T.A.R. Labs had to shut down." Jax says as he walks into Barry's training room. "It's under new management. "Whoa. What kind of treadmill is that?" Jax asks and I smile at him. "Cosmic." Cisco replies and I just shake my head. "Cool. So, let's get started. You got some kind of Billion-Dollar-Man technology that's gonna fix my knee?" Jax asks and I bite my lip and look down nervously.

"Actually, Jax, this isn't about fixing your knee." Barry says and I look up at Jax with a frown.

"What are you talking about?" he asks.

"When the Particle Accelerator exploded, the energy wave that collided with you is known as dark matter." Professor Stein says.

"And, it didn't just hurt your knee." Caitlin says and I nod.

"It changed the molecular structure of your body." Professor Stein says.

"Whoa, hold on, Grey. So, you're saying I'm like one of those metahumans I keep hearing about on the news?" Jax asks.

"Yes, I am. Please, call me Professor."

"We think you have potential capabilities." Barry tells him and I nod.

"What kind of capabilities?" Jax asks.

"The same as Professor Stein." I say to him.

"The ability for your body to process fission and fusion." Caitlin says.

"And you can harness excess energy and turn it into these massive nuclear blasts. And you can fly. There's also that." Cisco says and I shake my head at him.

"So you're saying you can do all this?" Jax asks Professor Stein.

"Only during times of convergence with a willing partner."

"Convergence? You and me?" he asks and Professor Stein nods.

Jax just looks at us and starts to laugh, "No. This is crazy." he says and he starts to walk away. "Jax, this is your chance to right the wrong that was done to you." Barry tells him. "Yeah. Sorry, you got the wrong guy. I don't want nothing to do with this." Jax says and I frown at him. "Wait a second. We are giving you the chance to be a superhero, and you're going to say no that quickly?" Caitlin asks him. "Yeah. Not my kind of thing." Jax says and I want to reason with him. "If the man isn't willing to participate--" Professor Stein was cutoff before he could finish his sentence. "Look, I saw your test scores, Jax. Your grades were good enough to get into college, but you didn't go. Why? Is this the type of guy you are? One setback and you fold? Well then, maybe you're not the guy for us anyway." Caitlin asks pretty harshly. "Well, then maybe I'm not." Jax snaps back. "Jax--" I couldn't get a word in before he stormed out of the Cortex. "You didn't have to be so harsh on him, Cait." I say to her and she looks at me with wide eyes. "He's passing up an opportunity of a lifetime!" Caitlin says and I just groan in annoyance at the way she's acting. "Maybe, this just wasn't meant to be." Professor Stein says and I frown at him as he walks away.