Chapter 4

Enjoy the chapter. =)

Chapter 4

The Sorting Hat

Harriet and Draco finished changing into their robes and sat quietly for the rest of the ride. When they left the train they were greeted by a giant man, she figured that he was Hagrid. Sirius had told her about him. He would be taking them to Hogwarts by boat, while the older students take carriages drawn by horse like creatures. It seemed only Harriet could see them. 

She figured that they must have been thestrals, for only those who had seen death could see them…she figured that the deadly car accident she witnessed a few years ago sufficed enough to count as ‘seeing death’.

She sighed and made her way onto a boat with Draco and two other people, the boy who lost his toad and Hermione. Harriet watched excitedly as they slowly sailed across the Black Lake, and she swore she saw the Giant Squid wave at her from below the surface. Eventually the castle came into view and all the first years stopped to stare at it.

They entered the castle and were told to wait by Professor McGonagall, who gave the group of first years a stern looking over before going through the door, to what Harriet assumed to be the Great Hall. Draco sighed next to her, obviously worried about his sorting. “You’re going to be fine, let the sorting hat make its choice and roll with it. You seem like a really smart person. No matter what house you end up in, I’m still going to be friends with you,” Harriet told him calmly, her green eyes peering straight into Draco’s silver ones.

“Thanks, Harriet-” he was cut off by Harriet putting a finger to his lips. She was shaking her head.

“Call me Harri. All my friends do. Harriet makes me sound old,” Harri said with a smile before all the first years were led into the Great Hall where a hat was sitting on a stool.

The first few kids were sorted into Hufflepuff, then a few into Ravenclaw, the first Gryffindor was Lavender Brown, who beamed as she went to the table, the Weasley twins were giving her a cat calls as she sat down. Soon enough Hermione went up, the hat shouted: “Gryffindor!” and she hopped off the stool and made her way to the Gryffindor table. There were quite a few Slytherins sorted after that. A boy named Seamus was sorted into Gryffindor. It was a few minutes later when Draco was called up. The hat was put onto his head and it was about a minute later when it made its decision: “Ravenclaw!” The entire hall was speechless, he was the first Malfoy in history to be sorted in a house that wasn’t Slytherin. After the a few more students got sorted McGonagall called up Harriet.

Now, that really got the hall to silent. Harriet held her head up high and made her way up to the stool. Sirius and Remus had warned her about how people would start talking about her and bother her because of her fame.

She sat down quickly, hoping to get this over with as fast as possible. As soon as the hat was over her head she heard a voice, “Difficult…very difficult, I sense loyalty, a sharp mind, cunning and bravery beyond compare…Hufflepuff would be too mild for you. Ravenclaw would be too dull for your adventurous spirit. Now, Slytherin would lead you to greatness, but then you would stick out there, too many enemies lurk in that house. Then it should be Gryffindor!” 

The Great Hall erupted from the side of the Gryffindor table. The Weasley twins were yelling, “We got Potter!” Harri chuckled quietly as she made her way to the table. She sat next to Hermione and George. The sorting ended with Zabini who was sorted into Slytherin.

She struck up a conversation with the twins about pranking ideas, and then spoke to Hermione about what classes they were looking forward to most. Hermione was looking forward to charms. Harri responded by telling her she was looking forward to transfigurations.