Chapter 16

I love the title of this chapter! =) Enjoy...

Chapter 16

The Creature Called Gilderoy Lockhart 

The week passed by chaotically, with Lucius out of Azkaban. It wasn’t long before Draco could be in real danger from his father. There was no telling what an ex-Death Eater would do to his son for befriending Harriet Potter, and then going off to live with the man that put said Death Eater in prison in the first place.

Harri noticed that Sirius was working in his office till the early hours in the morning trying to figure out if Lucius could take Draco back to Malfoy Manor. She found out that he eventually came to the conclusion that Narcissa had written up the contract so that if Lucius did get out of prison, he couldn’t take Draco back. What Harri didn’t understand was what Sirius’ cousin was doing all of this…and her answer came in the mail Tuesday morning.

Harri and Draco were waiting for Hermione to come out of the shower so they could all go down and eat breakfast. They were leaning on the wall in the hallway talking quietly, but they were interrupted when they heard cursing from downstairs, and not the magic kind. Harri could hear Hermione knock something over in the bathroom from Sirius’ outburst. She opened the door a few seconds later completely ready except for her a brush stuck in her hair, which she quickly pulled out.

“Was that Sirius? Doesn’t he know there are children with impressionable minds living in this house?” she asked sharply.

“He usually doesn’t curse unless something really bad has happened,” Harri replied with a worried frown as she looked down the hallway towards the stairs. Her two friends could tell that she just wanted to go and check on her godfather.

“Draco, I got a letter from your mother! You’re going to want to know what it says!” Sirius shouted.

“I guess I better go down there…” Draco said, but he didn’t move from his spot on the wall. It looked more like he wanted to disappear into instead.

“Come on, we’ll go with you. I know you don’t want the letter to have bad news on it. Sirius would have called you down differently if it did,” Harri reassured him. She took one of his arms while Hermione took the other. The girls led him to the kitchen where Sirius was sitting at the table, holding a handful of parchment. A small key could be seen on the far side of the table with another note under it.

Harri pushed Draco and he stumbled forward, nearly tripping. She motioned for him to keep going with a flick of her hand. The blonde glared at her, but he kept moving anyway.

“Sirius, what did the letter say?” Draco asked nervously. 

Sirius sighed, it was obvious that he was dreading this conversation. “Your mother sent me something very interesting concerning you and your father. Upon finding out that you were living with me and that I was your legal guardian, your father has decided that he wants to disown you, which means you’re no longer going to be considered a Malfoy, according to Lucius. Your mother still considers you part of the family,” Sirius began to explain to Draco calmly, but Harri could tell that her godfather was starting to lose his composure. Harri knew that Sirius had gone through the same thing as a teenager and he was probably feeling a bunch of different things trying to explain this to Draco. 

“But, your mother knew that he was getting out of prison and put your trust fund in my hands, so you will have money to your name. None of us thought that he would get out of prison so soon, otherwise we would have had you living at home.”

“So, basically, I have no name or no real home anymore,” he said dejectedly.

“Well…that’s where you’re a little off, my fair haired Ravenclaw. You can consider this your home for as long as you want and you’re more than welcome to take the last name Black, since it’s my last name and your mother’s,” Sirius told him halfheartedly. Sirius knew that this was a lot to take in at once.