Chapter 13

This was a fun chapter to write. Enjoy.

Chapter 13

The Man with two Faces

She was greeted with the sight of Quirrell and the Mirror of Erised as soon as she entered the chamber. “Hello, Professor,” she greeted hostilely as he watched her with a wicked smile, his face wasn’t twitching like it normally was. For the first time all year he seemed calm.

“I was wondering when I’d see you here, Potter. It took all year to set this up,” he said to her without a stutter and with utmost confidence in himself.

The one thought running through her mind was why she was needed for his plan in the first place. She was just a first year student, nothing powerful enough to stop him.

“I thought for sure you would have suspected Snape. He had been harassing you like an overgrown bat all year,” Quirrell continued. Harri knew she was going to have to give Hermione an ‘I told you so’ if she got out of this alive. She had suspected Quirrell all year, but no, it had to be Snape trying to kill her. 

Harri was glad that he was still talking, she needed him distracted so she could come up with a plan.

“I never really suspected Snape. So you were the one who tried to kill me all year?” Harri asked with a questioning sound to her voice, even though she already knew the answer.

“Yes, it was an incredibly hard task with Severus protecting you all year. I would have knocked you off your broom much earlier if your blasted potions professor hadn’t been muttering a counter curse. Then he had the gall to referee your next quidditch match, of course everyone thought that he was trying to ruin Gryffindor’s chances of winning. Though, he didn’t even need to put up the effort since Dumbledore was there. He really made himself unpopular after that. All his effort has been wasted, because I’m going to kill you right here, tonight,” he ranted to the eleven year old in front of him. Quirrell snapped his fingers and ropes tied themselves around Harri.

“Were you the one that let the troll into the school on Halloween?” Harri asked, trying to keep the madman talking.

“I did, you see I have a special gift with trolls. You saw what I did to the one back in there,” he told her distractedly. 

“Now, be quiet while I examine this mirror,” he ordered aggravated.

Harri felt slightly rebellious and decided to try and ask him another question while she thought of a way to stop him from looking into that mirror. “I heard you crying in your classroom the other day.”

Quirrell stopped looking at the mirror and turned his attention back to Harri. “Sometimes I find it hard to follow my master’s instructions. He is a powerful wizard and I am weak,” he replied frustrated with his personal weakness. Now, Harri wasn’t going to deny that he was weak and she also wasn’t going to deny that he was a bloody idiot, but she wanted to know where his master was because she hadn’t seen him in the classroom with him.

“You mean to tell me that he was in the classroom with you?” she gasped. Was that why her scar had been hurting all year? Voldemort had been in the school the entire year, but where would he be hiding?

“He is with me wherever I go, you stupid girl. After I failed to steal the Stone from Gringotts he decided to keep a closer eye on me,” Quirrell trailed off as he gazed back into the mirror.

“Maybe I should smash the mirror?” Quirrell muttered to himself, but Harri heard every word he said. Her mind was racing and she needed to think on her toes.