Chapter 9

So, another chapter right before Christmas for me! =)

Chapter 9

Hufflepuff vs. Gryffindor

The last few days of Harri’s holiday were spent throwing snowballs in the backyard with the boys, researching Nicolas Flamel and cheering Draco up. Harri had found out that Draco’s mother was leaving him in the care of her godfather till further notice and it didn’t seem like Sirius had really given him a good reason for why he wasn’t allowed to return home.

“At least you’re not living with Snape,” Harri reasoned with him one afternoon when he was feeling extremely upset. This brought a halfhearted smile to his face.

“That’s true. I can’t imagine he’d be good with kids. Thanks for putting up with me,” he replied hugging Harri. She patted his head and dragged him off to the library where they were going to look up more on Nicolas Flamel.  

From what she could tell the wizarding version and the muggle version of Flamel were extremely similar. She figured that she should write to Hermione soon, but every time she tried the twins would pull her and Draco outside to get fresh air. The twins tried to explain to them that studying over break wasn’t healthy and writing to Hermione would only cause them to do more work.

The four of them arrived back at the school the day before the term started. Harri had found Hermione sitting in the common room waiting. She had arrived the day before. “Did you find out anything about Flamel?” she questioned her friend hopefully.

Harri pulled a book out of her backpack and handed it to Hermione. The older of the two girls looked appalled. “How did you not remember who he was? You read a book about him!” she yelled impatiently as she hit Harri’s arm with the book. She couldn’t believe that she couldn’t remember that she didn’t remember Nicholas Flamel, she had read it in a book!

“I read that book a long time ago! It was inside my bedside table. The only reason I have it is because George was rummaging through my things,” Harri admitted rubbing the back of her neck. 

George smiled at the mention of the book. He couldn’t believe that she had that in her drawer the entire time. 

At that exact moment Neville came hopping into the common room with his legs locked together. The poor boy must have had to hop all the way back to the Gryffindor Tower. Harri ran over to him as fast as possible and preformed the counter-curse and hoped to stop the people in common room from chuckling at him. “Who did this to you?” she asked, though she had a good idea on who it was without Neville telling her. Alya was the only person Harri knew who would do something that low. 

“Alya did it. She had said something about wanting to practice the spell she used on me, this is the fourth time she’s done it this month,” he replied hanging his head in shame.

“Report her!” Hermione urged the poor distraught boy.

“No, I don’t want to make matters worse,” he answered her looking close to tears.

“Look, Neville, Alya is used to getting whatever she wants. She enjoys stepping on people and causing pain. You have to stand up to her. You were put in Gryffindor for a reason. You’re worth at least twelve of Alya Lestrange, if not more,” Harri told him as she pulled him off the floor. The teary eyed boy stood up and engulfed Harri in a tight hug. The green eyed girl pulled him away and patted him on the head before he left.

It wasn’t till Neville was out of earshot did the girls and the twins begin talking about Flamel again. As it turned out, Harri had written extensive notes on what she had read about Flamel. Hermione couldn’t have been more pleased with her friend. “No wonder Snape wants the stone so badly, it grants eternal life and creates gold,” Fred commented reading Harri’s notes over Hermione’s shoulder.