Chapter 23

Sorry for the wait, but I've had a long few weeks. Finals are coming up.

Chapter 23

Phoenix Feathers and Manor Estates

McGonagall brought her into Dumbledore’s office and left her there to wait for the headmaster. If Harri weren’t so worried about being expelled she might have taken some time to pay more attention to Dumbledore’s office. 

It was a large circular room, full of funny noises. There were a number of curious silver instruments that stood on spindle-legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. The walls were covered by the portraits of past headmasters, all slumbering in their frames. In the far corner of the room sat the Sorting Hat.

Harri wandered around the room, not really focusing on anything, until she spotted a phoenix that looked close to a burning day. The poor animal resembled a half-plucked turkey. The phoenix’s eyes were dull and tired.

“Don’t worry, all the pain will be gone soon and you’ll be reborn from your ashes before you know it,” she assured the suffering animal in front of her.

As soon as the words left her mouth the bird ignited. It resembled a fire ball more than a bird. Harri jumped back worried that she might catch fire as well. The fire completely consumed the phoenix and soon there was nothing but a pile of ashes on the floor.

Harri heard the door open behind her and then she saw Dumbledore walk in. He looked somber, she figured that it was because of the most recent attack. Harri hoped that the headmaster would tell her what was going on in the school or maybe call the Aurors…they were rather helpful when it came to solving mysteries and stopping killings.

“Sir, your bird just ignited,” she informed the older man, completely forgetting why she was brought here in the first place.

“About time, too,” Dumbledore said. “He’s been looking dreadful for days.”

Suddenly, a small peeping noise could be heard from the ground. Harri looked down and saw that the phoenix was a little wrinkled baby bird, sitting on the floor. The second year Gryffindor scooped him up off the floor and put him on the Headmaster’s desk.

“There you go,” she told the baby bird, who was peeping happily on the desk, exploring its new surroundings.

“It’s a shame that you had to see Fawkes on a burning day. He is usually quite handsome with lovely red and gold plumage.” Dumbledore said to her as he pet the little phoenix chick on the head. Moving to his chair, he motioned for Harri to take the seat on the other side. “Now, Harriet take a seat, we need to talk.”

Harri sighed, she had completely forgotten why she was brought here. Maybe if Fawkes did something else that was cute Dumbledore would get distracted, but alas, the chick had fallen asleep on the desk.

“Professor, I didn’t do it! I think the universe has something against me! I was just coming from the library when I found Justin on the floor! I’m not the heir of Slytherin, no matter what the rumors going around say!” Harri nearly shouted.

“I know you didn’t do it, my dear girl, so calm down,” Dumbledore replied with a smile.

“Then why do you want to talk to me if you know I didn’t do anything wrong?” Harri asked with a raised eyebrow. He had something up his sleeve and she didn’t like it.

“I just want to know if there is anything that you wish to tell me, anything at all?” he questioned, his eyes twinkling. All of the sudden it felt like something was trying to get into her head, so she looked away from the elderly headmaster and the feeling went away. Was he trying to read her mind?