Chapter 37

Sorry that I didn't update on Friday, but there were some issues...Enjoy the chapter and see you at the bottom!

Chapter 37

Is Happiness so Hard to Come By?

Harri’s heart sank when she heard George tell her that they needed to talk. She mustered all the Gryffindor courage she had and turned to look at him. “What do you want to talk about?” she asked in reply, pulling her legs towards her chest and wrapping her arms around them.

“It’s about the Tri-Wizard Tournament and about you getting chosen as one of the champions...” he began slowly, moving his hands around, like he was grasping at the air for the correct words.

“I know that you’re mad at me for getting chosen...and I know that you’ll probably never forgive me for this...I just wanted to tell you that I didn’t put my name in the goblet...no one really believes me. I hoped that you would, but it seems like I was wrong,” Harri said to him. Then, suddenly unable to take the tense conversation happening in front of her, she tried to get up, but George grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down. She stumbled and fell into his lap. He tilted her chin up, so that she was looking him straight in the eyes.

“I do believe you. I saw your face as you got up. I heard the panic in your voice when you spoke to Hermione. I’m just worried about you, Harri. I would never abandon you when you need me, especially now. Fred and I are going to do whatever we can to help you win this tournament...I mean if we couldn’t participate, you’re the next best thing,” he told her as he leaned down and kissed her lightly on the lips.

Harri felt tears threatening to fall and hugged George tightly. He wrapped his arms around her and let her silently cry, knowing that she had been bottling up her emotions and worries since yesterday. Harri was very good at putting on a mask of indifference, but usually, under times of extreme stress, it would crack. She was glad that she had George with her to help her through those times.

They sat there for a few minutes so Harri could pull herself together. Eventually, she pulled away from George.

“Where’s Fred? I know that even when you’re with me he’s never far away,” Harri asked watching the Giant Squid lift his tentacles above the water to sun them.

“He’s busy with Angelina,” he replied with a smirk on his face. Harri chuckled at the thought. Angelina was not interested in Fred last year when he started to flirt with her. She found him immature and thought that his pranks were cruel...maybe that had changed over the summer?

“So, he’s finally wooed her?” Harri questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“No, not even close. She still threatens him constantly for flirting with her. I don’t think that he’s going to give up anytime soon. He really does care about her,” George replied, shrugging his shoulders towards the end.

Harri snorted at George’s answer. Fred was going to need to grow up a little bit for Angelina to see that he was boyfriend material.

“Your brother has his work cut out for him...he needs to grow up if he wants to date Angelina, but just between you and me, I think he’s slowly wearing her down,” she told him quietly.

The two enjoyed the rest of the morning together, avoiding the chaos of Hogwarts, even if it was just for a few hours. 

Classes started back up the next week and Harri was dreading all of them, even Transfigurations, which was her favorite class. All the houses, with the exception of her own, had completely shunned her, all of them thought that she was seeking attention and put her name in the cup. There were even some students in Gryffindor that thought she had put her name in the cup, Ron Weasley being the main supporter of the ‘Harriet Potter is a self obsessed prat’ club.