Chapter 47

Hello, happy Friday! I just got back from a major tradition at my school. I missed school, it's good to be back...anyway, enjoy the chapter!

Chapter 47

An Unfamiliar Outlook

Severus Snape wouldn’t call himself a loving man, or a man worth loving, not since Lily died. There are a few people in his life that he deems worthy of his limited capacity for caring. One of those lucky people happened to be his godson, Draco, who was staying with him for a few weeks while Black and Lupin went on a treasure hunt of some kind. Severus thought that they were being absurd, but Draco assured him that what Black and Lupin were doing was important.

Severus figured that it had to do with Potter...someone he unintentionally began to care for. She acted just like her mother and was brilliant at potions just like her. But, when he saw her holding Barty Crouch at wand point, hair a complete mess and sticking up at the back, he was reminded of her father, a man he loathed even after his death. 

After that day he couldn’t help but see even more similarities between her and her father. The shared talent for transfigurations and had an unbearably cocky attitude. Draco kept telling him that he was being pigheaded, but he didn’t-couldn’t-listen to him.

He had been told to watch her as she was dropped off at her Aunt and Uncle’s house. He was there to make sure that Black didn’t whisk her away. He saw them, Black and Potter, walk up to the doorstep with her suitcase. Severus could tell that she was holding back tears, but like her mother she wouldn’t show weakness. She hugged her godfather goodbye and walked into the house bravely and no one had seen her since...

The Order Members had been watching the house and no one had seen the girl come out all summer, but Black assured everyone that she was safe and sound. No doubt, she’d scared her muggle family into submission. The girl had a Slytherin streak in her and he wouldn’t be surprised if she had used it to her advantage during her stay at Lily’s sister’s house.

Then during the early weeks of the summer holidays Severus was left to deal with an angry Dark Lord, who had murdered Wormtail before calling the rest of the Death Eaters. They found the body in front of the deranged wizard. He the told them that the rat was an example for them all. He was showing them what happens when someone fails him. He had been torturing his following left and right for weeks, Severus had been his victim a few times already and wasn’t looking forward to the next Death Eater gathering.

It was a lovely Monday morning in late July when his godson came running down the stairs of his home and into the old kitchen he was currently sitting in, reading the Prophet. There was nothing in it, there was a distinct lack of Rita Skeeter recently, not that he was complaining. The woman was cruel and never wrote anything that was true, and yet people constantly believed and read her articles. Recently the articles in the prophet were slurs about Potter, Diggory and Dumbledore, but today there wasn’t much of anything in it to entertain him.

He looked up from the paper to see Draco with slightly flushed cheeks and a rather dazed look in his eyes. He looked somewhat ill and considering he was starting to sway it seemed that he may indeed be sick. Severus sat him down quickly. Draco had hit a growth spurt, he had grown nearly six inches over the summer and had started to fill out. Severus could remember a time when Draco’s head didn’t even reach his shoulder, now they were nearly looking each other in the eyes.

“Draco, is something wrong?” he asked slowly and Draco nodded, but then shook his head. There was obviously something bothering him.

“There’s something wrong with Harri,” he said quietly and Severus sighed and summoned some cups to make tea, he figured that this was going to be a long discussion.