Chapter 25

So, here's the next chapter. Year two is almost done. This was one of my favorite chapters to write. One of the longest ones as well. =) Enjoy!

Chapter 25

The Riddle Behind Marvolo

Harri hadn’t found anything substantial about Marvolo and it was already March. The Easter Holidays were approaching and the second years were given something to think about, they had to pick their classes for their third year. She had the option to take Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Care of Magical Creatures, Muggle Studies or Divination.

Harri decided that she would take Arithmancy, Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures the following year, mostly because it sounded like a challenging schedule with one easy class mixed in. Draco decided to take Arithmancy, Ancient Runes and Muggle Studies. Hermione on the other hand decided to take every class, much to the horror of everyone around her.

“Hermione, you’re one mad witch,” Cedric told her when he heard them talking about schedules.

Besides picking classes Harri also had quidditch practice every night after dinner. She barely had time to finish her homework, but at least she coming back from practice dry and not covered in mud. She was in much higher spirits when she came back from the pitch the day before the match against Hufflepuff. She figured that Gryffindor was going to win hands down and the twins mentioned that to Cedric whenever they got the chance.

The only real problem she was having was trying to figure out who Marvolo was. He was related to Tom Riddle, but it was his grandfather on his mother’s side, so the last name Riddle wouldn’t be in the books since it was his muggle father’s last name.

Currently, Harri had her head face down on her bed in frustration. “Harri, smothering yourself isn’t going to help you figure out who Marvolo is. Why don’t you just ask Sirius?” Hermione asked her friend, watching in amusement as Harri dove towards her trunk and pulled out the mirror. 

Within seconds Sirius’ face appeared on the glass. “Hey, Bambi, is something wrong? Remus is due back any minute from his date with Dora and I want to hose them down before they start snogging each other goodbye again.” 

Harri had decided to not tell Sirius about the basilisk running around the school, she figured that he’d panic a little bit. Dumbledore obviously didn’t want the public to know about the attacks just like the headmaster from fifty years ago.

“Do you recognize the name Marvolo? I know I’ve heard the name somewhere before,” she replied and Sirius nodded his head.

“Yes, he was on the crazy side of the wizarding world. There was too much inbreeding. His full name was Marvolo Gaunt. He should be in the ancestry book you took to school. The doorknob is turning! I’ll be right back!” Sirius said as he disappeared from view and a few seconds later screaming could be heard.

“Sirius, you bloody prat!” could be heard right before a loud yelp and a thump. It seems that Remus got him. Harri rolled her eyes and turned off the mirror. She’d let Sirius call her back after Remus was done with him.

Sadly, Sirius didn’t call her back that night. She went to sleep only to wake up due to nerves early that morning. When she looked outside she saw that the sun was shining and it was breezy. It was perfect quidditch conditions.

Harri, Hermione, Draco and Luna were all sitting together in the great hall before the match talking about Gaunt and who he could possibly be, until she heard the basilisk again. Her head shot up towards the ceiling, listening for the voice.

“Kill this time…let me rip…tear…”

“The basilisk is on the move again,” Harri said worried. That was when Draco and Hermione shared a look and both of them shot up out of their seats.