Chapter 62

Hey, Happy Christmas to all and for everyone that doesn't celebrate it, happy holidays! Enjoy the chapter! =3

Chapter 62

The Lake

Classes, like always, were a breeze for Harri. She did her work quickly and efficiently. Since she had time to herself, she found herself sitting in front of the Great Lake more often than not. Sometimes she would be reading about Runes that would help her communicate with her family back home, other times she would be sitting with George leaning against a tree just acting like love sick teenagers. There were even a few times where she caught Sirius running around as Padfoot with James and Remus throwing sticks for him to fetch. 

Lily still wasn’t talking to her, though she was getting used to her. Harri figured it would take awhile for Lily to forgive her. A few times during Ancient Runes Lily had struck up a civil conversation, so they were getting somewhere.

Harri enjoyed the calm atmosphere, she knew that it wouldn’t last long, it was her life after all. So, on a breezy Tuesday Harri was sitting against a tree reading about a complex rune that might help her get back home. She hadn’t really been paying attention to her surroundings, she was twirling her wand absentmindedly in her hand. 

Her lips were pursed slightly, as she tried to replicate the rune’s components, but found that three were ridiculously complex. She ended up slamming the book she had been using shut and throwing all her papers in the air in frustration. She rubbed her eyes tiredly and sighed.

“Something the matter?” a voice asked from behind her. Harri jumped, wand at the ready, it was James. She held a hand over her heart in surprise, but lowered her wand. She noticed that he looked worried and was shifting from foot to foot. Harri motioned for him to take a seat next to her.

“I’m trying to figure out a rune. Nothing that you have to worry about,” she said with a dismissing tone. James muttered something incoherent and ran a hand through his hair.

“Now it’s my turn to ask, is something up?” Harri questioned and James nodded, not meeting her eyes.

“My mate wants nothing to do with me...she can barely stand the sight of me. What am I going to do? It’s so hard not to be depressed all the time and Padfoot and Moony wouldn’t understand, they just think that I’m love sick or something,” he replied resting his head on his knees.

“Well, I turned to books for a lot of answers at first and then to my friends and family, but I feel like you don’t have that option...” Harri said quietly and James shook his head.

“My parents are lovely, but they don’t even know about this. Men aren’t generally supposed to be Veela. I did a little bit of research and found out that the French Veela usually are only female, but the British ones can be both. I wish my mum had told me about this...” he muttered.

“If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea about my inheritance till I took a test...but I really doubt that the lack of knowledge is the real problem here. The real issue here is Lily,” Harri guessed and James nodded and smiled at the thought of her mother.

Harri smiled gently, realizing how much her father loved her mother. James blinked a few times and stared at her curiously, but then shook his head. “Yea, Lily hates me. She’s my mate and she hates me!”

Harri chuckled. “I really doubt that. She cares about you. When she saw me with you on my second day here she nearly bit my head off. I think that she’s attracted to you at this point. She senses a connection, but she’s too scared to want to pursue it. I would suggest not asking her out, not being a conceited arse around her and be yourself. You’re a really nice guy when you aren’t putting on an act,” Harri told him and he laughed at her last comment.