Chapter 42

Sorry this is out a few hours later than normal. Enjoy the chapter and see you at the bottom.

Chapter 42

The Drown or Not to Drown, That is the Question

Harri spent the last two days before the competition trying to figure out a way to breath underwater. She knew that there were charms for it, but her skill wasn’t high enough for her to perform them correctly. So, she spent the majority of her remaining time in the library researching alternate methods of not breathing for an hour. Hermione and Draco had decided to help her in her search for spells. The twins were, sadly, extremely busy with developing prank products and couldn’t help them.

It was merely 30 hours before the second task and Harri let out a sigh. “I know what I’m going to have to do,” she said tiredly.

“What?” Hermione asked with a raised eyebrow, she knew the tone Harri was using, it was one she generally used when she was going to do something very stupid.

“Human Transfiguration. It’s the only thing I can do...it’s bit risky though...” Harri replied tapping her nose deep in thought.

“Harri, that isn’t just risky, it could get you killed,” Hermione replied with her hands on her hips.

“The spells are for sixth years and above. Do you think that you’re up to doing spells that complex?” Draco questioned putting down a book on different potion ingredients he was reading. Hermione made a sound of indignation realizing that Draco was encouraging Harri to act reckless. 

Harri ignored Hermione to answer Draco. “It shouldn’t be too much of a problem. At least, I hope it’s not. I know the theory behind it and I might have practiced it a little bit in the prefects bathroom. It works, but I didn’t want the ministry knowing how good I am at Transfigurations,” she replied with a frown.

“Well then, we’ll just have to find a better and safer way to do this then, won’t we?” Hermione told her with a tone of finality to it.

Later that evening McGonagall came into the library and told Hermione that she needed to speak with her. Harri told her to go and that she could handle the rest of the reading with Draco. Once she was out of sight the blonde Ravenclaw put a book on charms down.

“You’re going to do the human transfiguration aren’t you?” he asked.

“You bet, I just don’t want Hermione to know. I’ve been reading a book on it since I suggested it this afternoon,” she replied with a small grin. 

She might have lied to Hermione, but it was only to make her feel better. 

“Harri, you understand the risks that you’re taking.” Draco said getting out of his chair and collecting his things. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and tutor first years in potions.”

“Aren’t I supposed to help you?” Harri questioned when he didn’t ask her to come along.

“Professor Snape is in a really bad mood today. I figured you wanted all your limbs for the competition tomorrow,” he replied with a shrug.

“What’s got him in such a bad mood?” she asked, sending the books they had been using back to their shelves.

“Someone stole something from his potion storage room last night. He’s determined to think that it was student with a track record for trouble...”

Harri rolled her eyes. “He thinks that I’d steal from him? I don’t have a death wish. Though, now that I think about it, I did see someone on the map last night near his storage room. It didn’t make sense and I didn’t have my wand on me, so I didn’t investigate. Apparently, Crouch was here last night and near the storage room,” she whispered to him quietly and watched his reaction change from interested to confused.