Chapter 54

Hello! College is kicking my butt...enjoy the chapter.

Chapter 54

The Longest Holiday

Harri spent all her free time, before and while she was on the train, with George. Fred had gone to seek comfort in Angelina, who was very empathetic, she had lost her mother two years prior to dark wizards. Both of her parents were part of the original Order. Her father joined it again, hoping to avenge his wife.

Harri had a hard time talking to George, she might have lost both her parents, but she didn’t really know them the way George had known his father. Instead of talking, she tried to be a constant presence, reminding him that he wasn’t alone. 

The two of them decided to sit alone together on the train, just to talk. Harri figured that spending time with friends that were happy wasn’t what George wanted.

They sat in an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes. Harri looked out the window, watching the scenery go by. George was fidgeting around, he obviously wanted to say something to her.

Eventually, the silence became too much for him. “Harri, how do you cope with both of your parents being gone?” George asked hesitantly, knowing that this was a very sensitive topic for her. The younger Gryffindor sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

“It was harder when I was younger. Little kids can be cruel, especially when you’re different from everyone else. I was teased a lot about not having a proper family,” Harri told him and George held her close and kissed the top of her head.

He waited for her to continue. “I’m not going to pretend that I know the exact emotions that you’re going through right now. But, I’m going to tell you what Sirius used to tell me when I got depressed over my parents’ deaths. Your dad would want you to smile. Celebrate the life he lived, not the life he never got the chance to have. He’d want you to build your joke shop and prove everyone else wrong,” she told him, pulling his chin down and pressing her lips to his.

He responded to her without much encouragement. The kiss wasn’t passionate or heated. It was gentle and comforting, something George needed more than anything at the current moment.

The ginger broke away from Harri and rested his forehead on hers. “But how do you cope? Learning to be happy is one thing, but how do you not get upset when people talk about them?”

“That’s where I can’t really help you. To me, hearing about my parents is something that makes me happy. I never got to know them, so hearing stories about them makes me feel close to them. I only allow myself to really cry over my parents’ death on Halloween,” she admitted and George sighed.

“Sorry, it’s just, I’ve seen you get angry when people compare you to your parents...” George said slowly and Harri ran a hand through her hair, much like her father would have done.

“There’s a difference between hearing stories about my parents and being told I look and act just like them. It’s really annoying being told I’m just like my dad or mum when I just want to be my own person. My parents seemed like great people, but I’m not them...only a few people seem to realize that and it really upsets me. I think that the people that tell me that I’m like my parents think it brings me closer to them. Though, I think the situation is a little different from the one that you have. You knew your father and being compared to him would be a good thing, a reminder of the man you knew,” Harri told him honestly.

George sighed and brought her closer to him. “How are you so wise for a fifteen year old?” he asked amused. A semblance of a smile gracing his lips for the first time in two days.