XXX - Old Flame

Three days of being home is for me an equivalent of those overpriced luxury getaway trips rich people buy, I've felt more relaxed than I've ever been before.

My mother and Abigail made it like my life went on from how it was before I left with just occasional reminders when I go out, people suddenly know me. 

Even people from school who never even gave me a second of their time back then.

Scoot has been calling non stop and leaving messages to my voicemail so I decided to change my number once and for all. What I need is peace and space from them, from anything that reminds me or Ryder.

"Silver! Phone!" My mother yells from the kitchen.

I toss my scribbling pad to the bed and skip down the stairs.

"Hello" I greet to the phone while a take a whiff at what my mother's cooking.

Chocolate Pancakes. My mouth can already taste the soft and chocolate goodness.

"Good Morning Ms. Jones, this is Fria from Sync Records. We'd like to extend our congratulations to your successful EP release" the other line replies.

Yeah the EP has been released without much promo after the radio show announcement, Capita basically put out clips from performances as teasers and took the unused pictures from the photo shoot we had for Ryder's tour posters.

But  I hear it's doing quite well.

"Thank you" I reply simply as the thoughts of all the chaos the legacy tour rush down with her statement but I know where this phone call is going. I've had a couple of these calls in the last three days.

"Sync would very much like to continue the successes of your amazing songs with you" She then goes on.

I sigh, if this happened a month ago I would've been jumping up and down screaming but now after everything that went down my answer's the same with all of them.

"I'm so grateful for your interest in me, really am but if you could hold on to the offer for a little more, right now I'd like to take a few days before deciding on my next career move." My tone like reciting something I've said a hundred times.

"O-Of course, we'll be in touch Ms. Jones, we're hoping in working with you very soon. Have a good day" She replies in a professional tone.

"You too" I say lightly and put the phone down.

"Third in three days" My mother chips in as she puts the plate of pancakes in front of me.

I pout at her like a child and then grin at the pancakes.

"A little more mom" I reply before digging in the pancakes. I know she's masking her worry about me, do I go back to college or continue on my music career.

She sits down on the chair opposite mine and puts her coffee mug down the table, staring at me.

"You don't have to force yourself into anything dear. If it's something you're no longer interested in doing, you don't have to feel you have to do something just because" She says very gently.

I sigh and let her words sink in.

"Music's my life mom, there's nothing more I want. It's just... it's the things that go along with it that's making it hard." I explain in a defeated voice.

Her lips pull up to a smile and reaches to me to kiss my forehead.

"You do what you love and fight for it. You've never let anyone stop you from doing what you love since you were young. Kids would give you a hard time for wanting to do the things you're passionate about but that never stopped you from going after what's in your heart. That's why when you said you wanted to go to Nashville, I knew nothing was going to stop you." She says with her eyes brimming with pride.