Stay with me

Takes place when Ali shows up at Emily's while she's on the run.

No ones pov

Emily was sleeping peacefully, she had fallen asleep reading Ali's diary. Suddenly she was awoken by a cool breeze, she stirs awake gently and freezes as she sees Ali standing by her window.

"Alison?" Emily asks in a shaky voice as she sits up. "Emily." The blonde says with a wide smile, she can't remember the last time she was this happy. "You have no idea how much I've missed you." Ali says as she walks closer to Emily's bed, the smile never leaving her face.

Emily only starts to get angry at this. "Missed me? I've been here the whole time." Emily says in disbelief. "You're the one that's been gone." Emily says- her tone harsh. Ali's smile soon falls as she stares at the brunette.

"You chose this. You chose this for you, you chose this for us." Emily said shaking her head. "I know you're upset." Ali says as she swallows hard, "I know I hurt you the most." Ali adds, her voice laced with regret. Emily swears she sees pain in the blondes deep blue eyes, and it hurts her- yes, but she still can't help but be upset with Ali.

"I wanna explain-" Ali tried to say but Emily cut her off, "But you can't." Emily said cutting her off cruelly. "But I can." Ali says as she sits on Emily's bed, Emily's facing the blonde and it feels so surreal. She thought she'd never see Ali again. A part of her was relived, the other part was angry.

"I have to." Ali says, "I owe that to you." She adds, her voice laced with determination. "You have no idea what I've been through." Ali says tears threatening to escape her eyes, but she blinks them away.

"You're right, I don't. And you have no idea what we've been through either." Emily said angrily and Ali only stared at her, "I saved your life twice! I risked everything for you-" Ali tried to say but Emily cut her off.

"You destroyed me! Okay?! I thought you were dead!" Emily yelled finally letting her walls down- she tried so hard not to, but Ali has always had this affect on her. "But I'm not." Ali says in a soft voice, her eyes glossy.

"Aren't you glad that I'm not?" Ali asks as her voice cracks and Emily, for the first time tonight, feels immediate regret. "This is a dream. This has to be a dream." Emily thinks to herself as she stares at Ali. Their eyes never leaving each other's.

Ali then looks down and sees her diary. Embarrassment and hurt flushes over her- but she knows she has no right to be upset. So all she does is pick it up, smiling a soft smile at the page Emily was reading.

"I remember writing this." Ali says moving some of her blonde locks out of her face and swiftly placing them behind her ear. That act alone made Emily's heart weak. But she knew she had to be strong, so all she did was stare at Ali, with same hurt eyes that she's been using all night.

"You and me, the kissing rock." Ali said softly getting lost in her thoughts as she looked at Emily. But Ali quickly shook her head, snapping herself back into reality. "I thought I was being smart. Locking it all up in a journal." She said almost bitterly, "But they took everything didn't they?" Ali asked as she closed the book and put it to the side.

Emily soon felt a part of her fifteen year old self come back- the part that needed to protect Ali. "Who Ali? Who took everything? Who's after you?" Emily asked staring at Ali with a hint of concern. Ali then shook her head, sniffling lightly, Emily was sort of shocked at how she was actually showing so much vulnerability.

"I don't know." Ali answered truthfully, she wanted to desperately change the subject. She didn't want to talk about "A" or her many enemies on this one night she got to see her mermaid. Because truth be told she didn't know when or if she would get to see her again.

"I bet you're wondering which ones real." Ali stated bluntly and Emily stared at her, "The girl in front of you, or the one who wrote that." She said looking at her diary then back at Emily.

"So am I." Ali said lightly in a broken voice. "That's why I need you," Ali started softly- her voice merely cracking, which didn't go unnoticed by Emily. "You always saw the best version of me." Ali said smiling softly, "The person I wanna be." Ali added in a lighter tone.

"I don't see that anymore." Emily said in a stern tone, Ali couldn't help but look down. "Yeah, I don't blame you." Ali said again, "If anything it's me to blame, I've had two years to change, and yet here I am being selfish as ever." Ali said in a tone Emily couldn't quite understand.

"I just wanted to to see you- I, erm, needed to see you." Ali admitted again not being able to look Emily in her eyes. "I know you don't wanna see me, but, I just needed this." Ali admitted fidgeting with her fingers, "Why? Why did you need to see me so badly?" Emily finally asked.

"Things are getting bad Em, and if anything happens to me- and I never come home, I just, I just needed to see you." Ali said not being able to find the right words, expressing herself has never been one of her best qualities.

"Why won't you let me help you?" Emily asked angrily, "We can figure this out Ali, we can do it together. But instead you think you can take on the entire world by yourself, by running. It doesn't help Ali, running away from your problems doesn't make them go away." Emily said angrily and Ali looked up, barely meeting the brunettes gaze.

"Please Alison, just let me help you." Emily said desperately, finally showing the blonde some emotion and compassion. Emily knows she still loves Alison, she always will. She wants nothing more for the blonde to come home- even if she doesn't show it.

"You can help me Em." Ali said softly and Emily stared at her in shock. "Help me by staying with me, just for tonight." Ali said softly and Emily stared at her in shock. "Please just stay with me." Ali added in a broken tone, tears starting to escape her eyes. Emily stared at the blonde for what felt like ages.

Finally, Emily nodded a small nod- so small if Ali hadn't been staring at Emily so intensely she wouldn't have even noticed it. Ali then laid down next to the brunette, getting under the covers. "Hold me, please." Ali whispered as she faced Emily, Emily then put her arms around Alison, and Ali buried her face in the crook of Emily's neck. Taking as much of the brunette's sent as she could.

Emily felt wetness on her neck, and soon realized Ali was sobbing- muffled broken sobs. She held her closer and Ali buried herself deeper, never wanting to let go.
----------------------------------------------------

The next morning Emily had woken up to an empty bed. She had wondered if last night was all a dream, till she turned her attention to a note on the nightstand. "I never got to say it last night, but I love you mermaid. - Alison."

And just like that Ali was gone again, and had somehow managed to take another part of Emily with her.