Ali's letter pt. 2

- That same night -

Emily was sitting on her porch, staring up at the sky. She had been sitting there for an hour now, reflecting on everything that's happened over the past couple of months.

She heard footsteps and looked up, she saw Alison walking towards her, and she smiled. "Hey stranger." Emily said teasingly, Alison knew she was calling her a stranger because they hadn't seen each other all day. "Hey." Alison said, faking a smile as she sat down next to Emily.

Alison stared up at the sky for a moment, "Looks like I interrupted a reflective moment." Alison said and Emily shrugged, "It's fine. I was reflecting on the good things for a change." Emily admitted with a soft smile on her face. Alison then flashed her a gentle smile, "I wish I could say the same." Alison admitted as she looked back up at the sky.

They fell into a comfortable silence, causing Alison's heart to race. She knew what she had to do, she just didn't know how she was going to do it. A million doubts popped into her mind; what if Emily doesn't want to hear it? What if Emily gets mad? What if Paige already told Emily?

As they stared at the sky for another moment, Alison took a shaky breath. "Have you spoken to Paige recently?" Alison asked, staring at the brunette, causing Emily to furrow her eyebrows as she turned to face Alison. "No, I haven't spoken to her since we broke up, why?" Emily asked cautiously, and Alison sighed.

When she didn't say anything, Emily knew something was up. "Ali, what's going on?" Emily asked in a stern tone and Alison looked down, then back at Emily. "You know I'm a different person right? And I would never say or do anything to intentionally hurt you." Alison said and Emily only stared at her, starting to grow a mixture of both confused and nervous.

"I know." Emily said lightly as she placed her hand on Alison's arm. The blonde stared at Emily's hand for a second before pulling her arm away, this caused Emily to grow even more nervous. "Ali, what's wrong?" Emily asked in an even more concerned tone.

Alison didn't answer for a couple of moments, leaving Emily anticipating for an answer. Alison then took a shaky breath and stared up at the sky; for some reason she just couldn't face Emily.

"Dear my mermaid," Alison started in a shaky tone, and Emily only stared at her; confused at where this was going.

"If you're reading this it means you found my letter. I wish I could tell you how hard it's been to stay away, I also wish I could see your face close up; instead of seeing you from afar. I delivered this letter myself, in hopes that you'd find it." Alison started, taking a short pause. She had read the letter enough times for it to be permanently burned in the back of her mind.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you. I wish I could tell you how being on the run has changed me in ways I wouldn't wish on anyone. I'm not gonna write why I ran away, or who I'm running from; because God knows how screwed we'd all be if this letter landed in the wrong hands." Alison said again, pausing so Emily could finally take in just what Alison was trying to say.

Emily only stared at Alison, intensely, not daring to say a word.

"I'm writing this because I left at a pretty bad time. I mean, I know I left while you were still angry with me over the locker room thing, and trust me you have every right to be. But I need to tell you, that I lied." Alison said, blinking away the tears that were starting to form in her eyes. She still didn't face Emily, but she could feel Emily's eyes burn into the side of her face.

"Of course that's not new, right? But I lied to you, Em, those kisses weren't just for practice. I couldn't tell you back then because I was scared. Scared of what everyone would think, scared of what the girls would think; but mainly, I was scared of you." Alison said, her voice cracking at the last word.