8 - It's Not Over

A/N: For those not in Australia, (not sure how it works overseas) but annual leave is when you accumulate paid days off work, which you can then use them as you see fit. Hope that makes sense ☺️

Oh and 515 Restaurant is pronounced as Five One Five, not five hundred and fifteen or five fifteen 😊

* * *

"So he just acted like nothing happened?" Nikki asked, confusion evident in her tone.

I let out a sigh before laying down on the grass, in a starfish position, "He wanted to talk about what happened at the burger joint, completely dismissed me about what happened at the hospital."

"Are you shitting me woman!?" Nikki's aggressive tone made me chuckle slightly.

Lately Nikki and I had grown much more closer, it almost scared me because in such a short amount of time; almost three months, we hit it off instantly and now it's like we were sisters. The best thing that happened was me being honest about my racing and living situation. I remember when Nikki was upset with me, not because of these situations but because I had worried about how she wouldn't support and love me still. Nikki admitted that she couldn't blame me though because had the roles been reversed, she would have probably been just as nervous. She understood why I was reserved.

There was still a lot I was learning about Nikki, what made her happy, content, angry, sad etcetera. It was unfortunate to learn that her dad, health wise wasn't doing too well. Nikki went on to tell me about how he was battling cancer and he was just about to start chemo. It only reminded me that there were people around me who had their own issues to deal with and that the world didn't revolve around me and my issues with Noah and Jaxon.

After spending my Friday afternoon with Nikki, I drove back home in complete silence. The silence had me thinking about all this free time I had and no income coming in. It's been a few weeks since my last shift at 515 and I was ready to return. All cuts and bruises; except one, had all healed and there was little to almost no evidence...

All except one.

Besides catching a glimpse of it when changing the dressing, I always refused to look at my arm. I could see that it was slowly healing, into a scar. A scar that would not go away, a scar that was permanently attached to my arm. I let out a shaky sigh as I pulled up into the driveway, I could feel my panic attack surfacing. It always started with my breathing escalating before the sweat beads would appear on my forehead. This happened to me every time my thoughts went to my scars, because thoughts about the scars always led to thoughts about Noah and that dreadful night.

I couldn't hold it in anymore as I let out a whimpered cry, immediately covering my face with both hands, I began to cry uncontrollably because there was no getting away from Noah's name on my forearm. This was a scar that would be a constant reminder to me and I wasn't prepared, emotionally or mentally for this challenge.

After a good ten minutes, I began to recollect myself and my thoughts. Surprised by how quick my thoughts and emotions went from one extreme to another. Surprised at how quick my emotions had betrayed me. Letting out a loud sigh, I gathered my belongings before walking into the house. All my pain completely forgotten when I drank in the sight of Alena and Isaac eating, well it was more Alena than Isaac because while she was covered in pasta, slurping back the spaghetti, Isaac was frantic.

"Alena, baby girl. I need you to stop doing that otherwise your sister is going to kill us" He begged as he gave her a napkin to wipe her mouth.