43 - Lighthouse

* * *

"She was a fighter and taken away from us too soon."

I sat in complete silence as my mums eulogy got read out, it's been four days since I found out about my mum. My dad was kind enough to pay for her entire funeral which I'm grateful for because I wanted my Mum buried but I wouldn't have had the money to do it. I've tried to stay strong for Alena but she can see that this has broken me, we've spent a few nights together just crying and letting the pain out in hopes that it will get better. Something just didn't add up, I refused to believe my mum did this.

F L A S H B A C K

"They said it was an overdose." My Dad said gently.

Here we sat at Dad dining table the morning the news broke. My dad's family, Isaac, Alena, Jaxon and me all sat here as we tried to soak in the news. I shook my head in denial as he said those words.

"I'm sorry baby but they ran tests and confirmed she had a mixture of things in her system." Dad said as he leaned over to grab a hold of my hand.

The tears fell freely from my eyes as I began to sob, "No. She promised! She promised Dad. She wouldn't break her promise!"

I managed to force the words out before I began to cry, leaning against the table for support. My cries only depended when I felt Alena's small hands wrap around my waist as she stood next to me.

"It's okay, Avi. We'll get through it together." She whispered in my ear.

I cried out louder as I turned my body to face Alena, picking her up to place her in my lap as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I looked over at Jaxon when I felt him rub his hand softly against my back.

"Dad. I'm not in denial. I know there's more to it than meets the eye. All I'm asking is you look into it please." I asked.

Dad let out a sigh before nodding his head, "I'll look into it baby. I promise. For now, I need to arrange her funeral and try and get a hold of this will."

E N D  F L A S H B A C K

"You ready to go?" Jaxon whispered.

I blinked twice as I looked around realising that the service had finished and everyone was now making their way out. I nodded as I stood up, grabbing a hold of Alena's hand who had been waiting patiently next to me. My eyes squinted as the sun began to shine directly on my face, a tear escaped my eye as it ran down my face slowly as I stared at the sun for a few seconds. I wiped my tear away before smiling down at Alena whose lower lip continued to shake.

"You fucking bitch! I'm going to kill you!"

My head turned towards the voice until Henry came into view. I took a step back quickly putting Alena behind me as he began to charge towards us. A few seconds later my dad stood in front of us pushing Henry so hard that he stumbled back. Before I knew it, Alena and I were now standing behind Drew, Isaac and Jaxon.

"Who the fuck do you think you are! You don't come for my daughters without having to go through me." Dad yelled out as he got nose to nose with Henry.

'I really hope the priest isn't out here. This would be a little awkward'

"Hey Alena, did you see that water fountain? It lets you make a wish!" Lisa whispered just as Henry had his outburst. I looked at Lisa as she winked at me.

"No!? Show me!" Alena squealed in excitement, oblivious to what was going on. Lisa grabbed a hold of Alena's hand before patting me on my shoulder.

"If you even breathe in my daughters direction or even look at them, I will make your life a living hell." My Dad added as he pushed Henry.

"Mr hotshot coming to the rescue? That's laughable." Henry said as he smirked at my dad