44 - Rise

* * *

It's been seven dreadful days since finding out about my mum. Bianca was kind enough to give me Bereavement Leave for two weeks, while school could only give me a week but I was grateful either way because it allowed me to put focus on my case against Noah and help my dad with finding the truth about my mums death.

We were both sitting in his office watching the security footage which was the most draining part because we had to watch it from the moment she entered the clinic. So far, nothing suspicious had come up. I was beginning to get disheartened about our chances of catching Henry. Until, we saw him arrive at 7:30pm the Saturday we had all been there. The anger began to boil through me when I saw that no one was at the from desk, which allowed him to walk freely into the clinic.

"We got him! The prick!" I whispered as I slapped my dad's shoulder in excitement.

"That's only the first half. We still need to follow him through the cameras to see where he goes. If we can catch him going into her room. We can get him arrested and sue the clinic."

"Sue the clinic?" I asked in confusion.

"They had a duty of care that they failed on. Avery, based on these videos, they are fucked in court. Excuse my language." Dad said as he winked at me when he excused himself, making me smile at him.

The smile drained from my face when I saw Henry leave my mums room with a smile on his face. It was at that point that he succeeded in his mission. Before I could say anything the screen paused. I looked at my dad in confusion but didn't question it when I saw the look he was giving me.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect her." He whispered.

I shook my head as my eyes began to water, "This is not your fault. You helped her get clean and get another chance with her kids. Thank you Dad, I love you." I said as I wrapped my hand around his shoulder.

"Love you too, kiddo."

"So what happens now?" I asked.

"You focus on school, work, college applications and your case against Noah. Leave this with me and Oliver. We will have it all sorted." Dad said as he grabbed his phone to make a call.

"Dad, about college. I'm not going. I plan on working full time, I can't leave Alena. Especially after what happened to Mum."

I watched as Dad got up to open one of the draws in his home office. My eyebrows creased in confusion as he came back with a pile of paperwork.

"I've done the same to Andrew. These are some applications, just read and have a think about it. For me, please?" He said as he reached his hand out to pass the papers as he sat back down in his chair.

"There's always a way for you to complete your education and be with Alena. Don't throw in the towel without doing your research." He added.

I looked between him and the papers before letting out a sigh, "Okay, I'll think about it." I said as I grabbed the paperwork off him.

"That's all I ask."

I scoffed as I looked at some of the universities, "Yeah, I can't afford any of these schools."