47 - The Fighter

* * *

It's been a quiet couple of weeks which makes me anxious, we are now in the month of September and I have no idea where the year has gone. They say that no news is good news but I feel like there is a dark storm brewing and I am helpless to it's powers. For the last two months roughly, all I feel like I've done is dissect every message and conversation had with Noah. Oliver made me screenshot every message, every time he called me, go through the conversation that happened at the diner, had to get Drew involved with that one. I think I even had to re-enact that night at least twice with Oliver so that he could "feel like he was there." The worst part for me was having to talk about the scar Noah left, I think Oliver has a timeline of photos from when it first happened to now, he wanted to show the jury the pain and ordeal I had to go through with this scar. My dad warned me that there was a method to his madness so I never questioned or fought back. If this was going to help him lock up Noah, I was going to do whatever I needed to help do that.

"We have a court dates booked in for this month." Oliver mentioned casually to my dad as he gathered his papers.

My eyes widened in shock as I heard those words, "What?! Wh-What do you mean this month? I thought these cases begin within a year or something like that?"

Oliver shook his head absentmindedly. "We have proven that Noah is a risk to you and this community, so judge fast tracked it to this month. Did you not tell her?" Oliver turned to my dad to question him.

"There was no need. I didn't want her talking herself out of it. Get excited about it, Avery." Dad said as he leaned over the dining table to squeeze my hand.

My eyes moved nervously between my dad and Oliver who had now closed his suitcase before looking at me, "I need you to be prepared both mentally and emotionally. You need to be ready to face Noah and talk about everything you have hated mentioning. We have already gone through what questions you may face. Just need to stay level headed."

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I nodded nervously. I was not prepared for this fight. Was this a fight that I could win? What happens if he gets free? What happens if the law can't even hold him down? All these questions running through my head were making my palms sweaty and my heart beat louder and faster.

"You have nothing to worry about sweetheart, you will have us all there. He won't dare do anything to you in court." Dad reassured me. I nodded in agreement as they both got up, ready to leave my house.

"We are taking this bastard down." Oliver confirmed as he winked at me.

"Thatta boy." Dad said as he patted Oliver's back. I couldn't help but smile at the confidence these two always seem to bring. It was reassuring, that's for sure. They always made me feel confident and invincible. I was ready mentally but I wasn't sure if I would ever be ready emotionally to face Noah.

"Do you think we'll win?" Alena asked.

I turned in surprise to see her sitting on the stairs, "How long have you been sitting there?"

"Can I lie?" She asked.

I placed my hands on my hips as I faced my sister, she knew I didn't like her listening to the details of what happened. I was okay when she was there and we were talking about generic details but with all the gory details, it wasn't something I wanted her to experience.

"I'm sorry. I just wanna be there for you." She mumbled.

I let out a sigh before sitting next to her and placing an arm around her shoulder, "You have been there for me. You have been the best sister ever."

Her eyes lit up as she looked at me, "I have?"

"Of course! I don't know what I'd do without you Alena." I whispered as I leaned forward to kiss her on her temple.