46 - Skyscraper

* * *

Its been three weeks since my mums funeral. It has been extremely tough for me, I had gotten so used to hearing her voice almost every day. Now, I had no-one to talk to like a daughter would with her mother. Just thinking about her brings a tear to my eye, she will never see me graduate school, go to college, get married, have kids. She will miss out on all the milestones in our lives. I've cried at night almost every night since finding out about mum. My heart now permanently has a hole in it that will never be healed.

I knew dad had connections but I never knew how serious his connections were. Somehow within two weeks he managed to get charges laid against Henry and the clinic. I've learnt that dad not only has lawyers in his pockets, he had police and judges. The power my dad had slightly worried me but at this point, it was doing us a favour. It was getting justice for my mum. My dad was currently in court with Oliver pressing charges against Henry, he was more than confident that by the end of the day, Henry will be locked up. I refused to go and didn't want Alena being in that environment. We did not need to hear the gory details about what happened to mum. I couldn't bear sitting there and listening to what happened to her before she died. I couldn't even mention mum without crying. Because I didn't want to go Drew and Isaac had promised they'd go on my behalf and to keep me posted about what happens.

So, here I was in school trying to concentrate when all I could think about was what was happening in court and if Henry was going to pay for what he did. School was going good, I still got the occasional stare but all the bitchiness and rumours abruptly stopped which has me believing that Jaxon and Lucas had something to do with it. My gut feeling was generally right and the smug looks that Jaxon and Lucas were carrying around lately was enough for me to confirm my feelings were right. The lunch bell rang through my ears and within a blink of an eye, everyone escaped out of class, I let out a sigh as I packed my belongings before finally getting up to leave.

"Avery."

"Yeah, Mr Reid?" I asked as I stopped walking.

"You are quite extraordinary with the way you write and the words you use to describe people." Mr Reid calmly said as he was collecting his belongings.

"Thank you" I said, flattered with the compliment.

"I have a friend who works at University of Melbourne and had been gushing about your work to her. She's intrigued and encourages you to apply for their Bachelor of Arts program." He said as he walked out with me.

I stopped abruptly as I took in his words, speechless that he would do that, "Ar-are you serious?!" I asked, excitement evident in tone.

"Yes. I know you mentioned once that you had no intentions of applying for University. But, I strongly recommend you apply for UOM. You will never get another opportunity like this." Mr Reid said, winking as he walked away.

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as the words sunk in. "Thank you Mr Reid!" I called out to him before jogging into the cafeteria. I stopped just as I got to the door, I didn't want everyone to see that I had just received the best news ever. This was information I needed to be careful with who I told, the last thing I needed was more heat from these guys. As soon as I walked in, I sat down next to Mason and Michelle glad that my little mishap with Nikki didn't get to the guys. The last thing I wanted was our little fight to have affected our group in any way.

I placed my phone on the bench, screen facing up as my eye kept moving between the guys and my screen. The longer I waited, the more anxious I was getting. I wanted to message the guys so bad but I knew phones were not allowed to be on during court hearings, so I didn't bother. But the problem I had was that I had no idea when the court hearing finished. I let out a sigh as I looked up, locking eyes with Jaxon. Jaxon winked before patting the next seat next to him, tempting me to get up and sit with him for a bit. What's one day right? Its not like the entire school didn't know I was dating him and surely my friends understood if I wanted to sit with him for one day.