30 - Ready or Not

* * *

"You did what?!" Isaac yelled out.

"It's better this way, Isaac." I said as I tried to remain calm.

"How? You lied to the cops, Avery." He said with a sigh.

"No, I didn't. I just told them what I knew, leaving you completely out of the picture."

"That's lying."

"No it's not!" I said through gritted teeth.

"I don't know about this." Isaac said, worry in his voice.

This conversation made me want to shake him. He was never a goody two-shoes, he was exactly like Noah except for the anger outbursts. Now, all of a sudden he had a conscience? Clearly he's forgotten what he does in his spare time or what him and Noah used to do. He bets at illegal street racing's for God's sake! Sometimes I really wanted to slap the shit out of Isaac but I had to remain calm. The last thing I wanted was to fight with him because of Noah.

"They won't believe him anyway, Isaac. He's too unstable." I said, shaking my head as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I dunno, Avery. What if they do believe him."

"I refuse to let you do time for that fucking prick! So, stick to the damn story!" I yelled out as I stood up from the couch to go upstairs.

Isaac stared at me in shock as he began to smirk slowly at my outburst, "Yes, ma'am."

I smiled at him as I calmly responded, "Thank you. Now I gotta go."

"Where?" Isaac asked in panic.

"Meeting up with your girlfriend. We are going to Shakes Shack. I'll be home in two hours. Oh and I got Lisa booked for tomorrow night." I grabbed my bag to head towards the door but stopped and looked back at Isaac.

"For what?" Isaac asked as he raised an eyebrow at me.

I smiled warmly, "I've got a date with Jaxon."

"About fucking time." Isaac whispered not so quietly.

"What was that?" I asked cockily.

"Nothing."

I smiled at him as I opened the door but stopped to look at him, "Isaac, stick to the story please. I can't lose you." I begged, desperation in my voice.

"Ok, we'll collaborate later. Go enjoy your time with Nikki." He spoke back calmly.

* * *

Despite seeing Nikki at school everyday, it was different when you hung out outside of school. We were two different people, we both weren't as reserved as we are at school. Every now and then the group would get together but sometimes we both just needed to hang out together, alone. We have been here for a good thirty minutes venting about everything, my heart aches for her as she sits here telling me about the medical issues her dad is facing.

"When did you find out?" I asked

"A few days ago." Nikki said as she sniffed.