10 - Run The World

Just like I promised!! Two chapters back to back as a thank you to everyone who voted for AQMA in The Fiction Awards. You guys rock my world! 😘😉

* * *

"I'm sorry. Can you repeat that?" Isaac demanded as he leant against the doorframe of my room, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I want a race." I repeated slowly, not stuttering in my words.

"Are we going to talk about this morning?" He asked, trying to change the subject.

"What's there to talk about? I had a nightmare. I get them from time to time" I said, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Then in that case, no."

"Yes."

"No, BooBear."

"Don't use the nickname because it won't work. I'm ready!" I responded, my voice raising a little higher with confidence.

"No you're not! You got shot for fucks sake!" He spat out, anger evident in his tone

"Oh please, that was like six weeks ago! I'm perfectly healthy. Trust me." I responded calmly. It was never appealing to watch when Isaac and I fought, especially when we were both passionate about the topic at hand.

I knew I was ready to race, I was ready to feel that adrenaline again, to have the wind blowing through my hair while I escaped all my worries, even if it was for a few minutes. In those few minutes, the world stopped and I was the only one moving. I needed to feel that again. Truth be told, winning that extra cash would also be a bonus. Especially after that bombshell my mum dropped on me last week. If I was going to go see her, we would need money for that.

"I should have known the moment you came back after dropping Alena off at her friends. Why so eager all of a sudden? Is there something you're not telling me?" Isaac asked after a minute of deliberating my request. I looked up into his eyes and had every intention of lying to him, but it felt like he already knew about my conversation with my mum and just wanted clarification.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, "No?" I said, however sounding more of a question.

"Really Avery, we starting to lie to each other now?" He asked playfully as he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Ugh!! How do you do that!?" I demanded as I plopped onto my bed in frustration.

He shrugged his head and walked over to sit next to me, "It's a gift."

He patted my thigh in encouragement to tell him what was going on.

I let out a frustrated sigh a I laid back on my bed and tilted my head to the right to look up at Isaac, "My mum asked if we would go see her at the clinic."

"There it is. You going to see her?"

I sat back up and brought my knees to my chest to lean my chin against them, "I don't know yet. So can we focus on me racing please. Let's get back into it Isaac! Dream team, remember!?!" I raised my voice in excitement as I playfully shook his shoulders.

Isaac bit on his bottom lip as he stared at me, deep in thought before letting out a sigh. I watched as he leant back to pull out his phone from his pocket, at this point I knew what was happening and I couldn't help but jump up and down on the bed as I watched him make the call I knew was coming.