35 - Sun Comes Up

* * *

"Alena, have you brushed your teeth?" I called out from across the hall.

"I'm doing it now." She responded grumpily.

"Hurry up, please. I have my doctors appointment in thirty minutes." I responded as I grabbed my bag.

"I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying." She mumbled, as I walked past her to go down the stairs. I went into the kitchen expecting to see Isaac but he was nowhere to be found. I was about to walk into the lounge room when I noticed a note on the dining table, 'Running errands. I'll see you at Drew's later.'

"Okay, I'm ready." Alena called out as she jogged down the stairs. After locking up the house and getting into the car we were on our way to my doctors. My eyes kept alternating between the bandage and the road, I knew my doctor was going to question why I still had it covered and I didn't want to have the conversation. Doctors could be very persistent when they needed to be.

I let out a sigh when I pulled into the doctors office, I just had to get this over with. As soon as I checked in we both sat in the waiting bay for a good fifteen minutes until my name was called, which only angered me. Why make me book an appointment if they were just going to make me wait?

"I won't be long, Alena." I whispered as I got up to walk inside. I followed my doctor closely behind as she walked us to her office, waiting for me to enter before closing the door behind us.

"Avery, how are you feeling?" She asked as she sat at her desk, across from me.

"I'm good. I need another prescription for Endone." I responded quietly, I bit onto my inner cheek as her eyes moved to look at my bandage, before making eye contact with me again.

"Have you taken both prescriptions?" She asked as she began to write in her notepad.

My eyes lingered on her notepad for a few seconds before responding slowly, "Yes."

"Both prescriptions combined should have lasted you a whole year. You're treading on dangerous waters here, Avery." She said.

"I'm not addicted, okay. I took them when I felt pain, as per your instruction." I said.

"I never said you were addicted. Just be careful." She whispered.

"I know. I'm sorry. They just help my anxiety when it goes through the roof." I said, as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Well. I am going to prescribe you something for your anxiety. You only need to take half when you begin to feel anxious but you will need to use them sparingly." She said as she began to scribble words down.

"So, I won't get a repeat?" I asked, as I tried to hide the panic being evident in my voice.

She stopped writing before looking up at me, "No. These should only be used for severe cases. I don't want you becoming reliant on these. Please." She said, worry evident in her tone. I let out a sigh as I nodded.

"Great. Now, can you remove the bandage for me, so I can take a look." She said.

It was the way she spoke, I knew she wasn't asking me if I could remove the bandage or not. I let out a sigh as I reach for the bandage to slowly remove it, revealing Noah's name which always felt like it was screaming at me. I watched as she got up to sit next to me before lifting my arm up to take a closer look.