53 - Game Of Survival

* * *

I let out a sigh as I looked up into the sky, a smile tugged at my face when I remembered the nights I used to lay out here with Alena looking up at the sky together. We always tried to make pictures out of them and then laugh at how stupid it was.

"Alena would have loved to be here." I said out loud, talking to myself.

A big bang distracted me from my thoughts as I jumped around to face the back door of the house. My heart immediately started to pound in my throat and ears as I looked around and saw nothing.

'What the hell was that?'

The goosebumps ran along my body and it was at this exact moment that I regretted being here by myself. Since when did I become such a chicken shit? I grabbed my phone and unlocked it, contemplated whether I should ask Jaxon to come back.

'No, he has too much on his plate at the moment.'

With that in mind I placed my phone back into my pocket and went back inside the house. I had no intentions of staying out there any longer. I made my way through the house before stopping to look at the pile I made for my stuff I wanted to throw. I didn't realise I had made such a mess, only noticing now that the once small pile that sat there had now fallen everywhere like a tornado hit it. I let out a sigh as I moved the pile closer to the front door, cleaning the area a bit so it didn't look like a bomb hit it.

I looked at the stuff I claimed to keep knowing I needed some boxes. I let out a groan as I knew mum kept all her empty boxes in the back shed, I really didn't want to go back outside alone.

'Just get it over and done with.'

I placed my phone onto the dining table as I made my way to the back yard and straight to the shed. I grabbed as much of the boxes I could carry and hurried back inside. I knew the quicker I placed the stuff I wanted to keep, the better it was for me down the track. I was half way through packing the boxes up when the back door slammed, causing me to jump.

'Stupid wind'

I got up to make my way to the back door but froze in my step. Something made me look at the dining table and notice that my phone was now no longer sitting there like it had been about twenty minutes go. I don't know why but my heart started to beat faster wondering where it was.

'Did I grab it and move it? Why don't I remember grabbing it?'

"Looking for something?"

I screamed as I turned around to the voice that was coming from behind me. The life got sucked out of me as I saw Noah calmly standing there, fiddling with my phone before placing it in his back pocket.

'This isn't real. He's not here.'

"You're imaging this." I whispered to myself.

"No you're not Ava. This is real." He responded calmly.

I had no idea why he was so calm but my main objective right now was to keep it that way. At least he was on the other side of the house. I looked at the front door and realised that I never locked it after Jaxon.

'Fucking idiot, Avery.'

"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to remain calm but my heart was practically beating in my throat.