4 - The Ninth Epitome

Xyder Zephyr - POV;

All eyes fell immediately upon me following my outburst. Everyone began to clammer and mutter about my bold statement.

"You?! This tournament has no place for a weak, ignorant, disrespectful brat like yourself!" Seraphim shouted.

"Objection! Is that so? Because I could have sworn that you just said it was open to all memebers of Zephyr!" I pointed out.

"You are a disgrace to this Clan's name! You don't deserve our prestigious title!" Seraphim argued.

"I'm afraid that your personal bull crap holds no water. Whether I am worthy or not does not change the fact that I am the rightful heir to your throne!" I countered.

"Why you retarded-!" Seraphim exclaimed as he drew his sword. Gasps came from every direction and many clasped their hands to their mouths. This event spoke worlds about the extent of the hatred shared by Seraphim and I. Seraphim's katana was not any normal piece of steel. It was his Persona. Seraphim had fought in many wars but the most epic was undoubtedly during the Demon King's raid against the humans.

In this battle, Seraphim had single-handedly defeated the Demon King with his katana but after seeing the immense pain and suffering it would inflict, he vowed never to draw it on a foe again, and he never did. The fact that he could unsheate it defined the pure feelings of hate he held.

"Xyder! Please stand down!" Alva pleaded.

"No! I support his claim to fight! Infact I would like to sign up myself, Storm Zephyr, as well as Satella Zephyr," Storm announced standing up at my side.

"I think he should be given a fair chance, my lord," Dagan suddenly added, "Don't you think so Sorine?"

"Pshh. Whatever. It's not like he won't be crushed in the first round!" she scoffed.

"Please permit him to enter, your greatness," Alva begged, switching her opinion around by 180 degrees.

Seraphim thought for a second before responding. "Grr. Fine! So be it!" he boomed as he took his leave from the area.

"Whew, I talked big back there but I was shaking in my boots," Storm admitted.

"Hey man! Good job making it in. Do your best out there!" Dagan said, approaching.

"Thank you Dagan. Your input really helped me there," I shook his hand.

"Nah man. The way you hold strong to your beliefs inspired me if anything. You got yourself in by fighting for your own rights," Dagan humbly stated. Sorine just walked past shooting me a disgusted look. The other Epitomes hadn't really bothered with me too much.

"Xyder you idiot!" Alva squealed as she punched me in the side. "What are you thinking going toe to toe with your grandfather? What would I do if you got killed just then?!"

"I'm sorry Alva, but this may very well be my last chance to sieze the spot. I had to secure a spot in the matches," I pat her on the head.

"By the way Storm, why did you enter in Satella without her permission?" I inquired.

"Isn't that obvious? That girl would skin me alive if she heard that we both joined the competition without her," he remarked.

We had been talking on the way back to my home.

"I forgot to ask, where is Evelynn? I noticed that she wasn't there at the meeting," I pointed out.

Evelynn was the ninth Epitome of the Zephyr Clan. Her mastery of Nature allowed her a deep connection to the natural environment as well as the flora and fauna within. Evelynn was one of the most humble and caring people you could find and her very element reflected that as she would often be called upon to utilise her incomparable healing ability to aid in other's recuperation, whether from injury or disease. This was one of the many reasons that she was chosen as the Epitome of Vita. You wonder how I know this much about her in particular right?

"Open the door for me will you Xyder," Alva said to me. I followed her request without complain but a sudden cry startled me and made me jump backwards.

"Xy! (as in 'xylophone')" the high-pitched girl shouted as she jumped onto and wrapped her arms around me.

"Evie?! What's this about?" I questioned, confused by her actions.

"I heard all about it! You stood your ground against grandfather!" she explained.

"Eh? News travels too quickly in this place," I muttered under my breath.

Evelynn and I have always been very close to each other..... no, that's an understatement. Evelynn and I had a strong bond that could not be shattered nor altered and that was a blood relationship. As we both shared the same father, Evie was a half-sister of mine due to our different mothers. Since Evie was born of an illicit relationship, she was not considered for the place of Leader, despite being three months my elder sibling. Though it wasn't illegal per se, my father's actions had broken custom so in order to damage control, Evie and her mother were granted a mansion far away from the Head Family's residence. Despite this, Evie and I grew together and this was only further cemented after both my parents perished. Her mother had even offered to take me in, but I had kindly refused as I knew I would only bring her pain being the son of the man who betrayed and played her.

"What brings you back from your training so quickly?" Alva interrogated the girl as we all had gotten inside. Storm and I sat looking at the television while the girls were preparing an evening meal.

"I finished earlier than expected, and while i could have continued my training, I chose not to. Overtraining can hurt results after all," Evie explained.

"And how is your mother? I haven't seen her in a while,"Alva continued.

"Oh she's fine. It's just that she has been really busy with work and Caitlyn. She is supposed to meet with the Patriarch soon however. I believe it's about this thing with father. It still hasn't been fully resolved since the incident all these years now........" Evie trailed off.

"Hey are you listening to them?" Storm quietly nudged me.

"Eavesdropping isn't good. Especially when its girl talk," I scolded.

"Alright, alright. Jeez."

"Hey Xyder I forgot to ask," Evie called across the room, "How do you plan to stand up against people like Sorine and Dagan in the tournament? Hell, even Storm could probably beat you."

Although her jab hit me in a sore spot, I brushed it off. "Honestly I have been thinking about this for some time and I think it's finally time I did it. I'm going to get my Persona," I declared.

"Whaaat?!" the three of them exclaimed in unison.

"How are you going to do that without any abilities? Besisdes we don't even know if Empty Vessels have a Persona. It's never been accomplished before!" Alva stated.

"Even so, I have to try. This competition is my final chance to regain what is mine and my Persona is the only thing that can make my victory possible," I was firm in my judgement.

"Well then, I wish you luck. I hope you can show me a good time if we face each other at the matches!" Evie laughed.

*Pictured - Evelyn Zephyr