155 - Mark of the Fenix

Zacharias Fenix - POV;

"Even now I can still feel it," Regulus Horus Fenix grunted as he stared out of the window of his office.

I had visited him that morning in order to give him a general report for the previous day but when I arrived, I found my father lost in a world of his own and going off on an unusual tangent.

"Feel what?" I pressed.

"His gaze. Those eyes have been burned into my memory. The blasted look of disgust, anger and disapproval in that man's eyes! It's haunted me for the last twenty years; the way that Kristæl Zephyr glared at me when he happened upon Duran's experiments," my father growled.

"Kristæl Zephyr?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Aye. The dead son of Seraphim Zephyr the Third. He came to Fenix City and threatened to have us all destroyed for trying to resurrect the dead," he grunted.

"But that doesn't make sense! It was Duran and his misfits that were doing that! Why would he blame you? That would only make sense if you knew about their scheme! Wait... you didn't know... did you?"

My father froze for a second as if realising he let too much slip.

"Zacharias," he said my name as he turned to me, "I have hidden a small part of the teuth from you. The truth is that I did actually know about Duran's experiment."

"You what?!" I exclaimed.

"I discovered his underhanded dealings while he was in the middle of it. I was furious when I found out. My blood boiled. I felt betrayed. But even so, I couldn't bring myself to put out one of my dear clansmen. I was too loving of my people. I told him to stop and said I would pretend it never happened. He agreed and I believed him but it was a lie. He continued his experiments behind my back and that was how Kristæl discovered it. Kristæl tried to blackmail my clan... In order to save Fenix I had no choice but to exile Duran right then and there. It was painful for me but I had to do what was necessary for Fenix's sake," he explained.

"Father... you truly are a great leader," I muttered.

"And you will be too," he responded.

"I didn't realise it at the time but with everything I now know, it seems that Kristæl may have been teamed up with Duran," father continued, "I always thought Kristæl accidentally found out but maybe it was planned. It's too convenient! Duran actually managed to complete his experiment. If it were all by chance, then after his exile his experiment should have failed and disappeared forever but he still managed create a person bearing the DNA of Zephyrus. That can only means he had a back-up plan and anticipated what would happen. He must have made Kristæl appear in Fenix City and pretend to have discovered the experiment on his own. That way, Kristæl could blackmail me for him. To think Duran would do all that. But, it seems that he never expected me to exile them all. Kristæl stood with Duran to take me out. I'd expect no better from bastards like Zephyr. Unfortunately for him, he kicked the bucket before he could tell his son to continue his mission. Now, that very son of his has undone his father's work. Xyder has destroyed Blaze and in so doing has helped me without even realising it. Such a stupid boy. You are leagues greater than he could ever be Zacharias. The final match soon approaches. When the day reaches, I know you will beat the ever-loving shit out of that annoying brat and prove to the world that Fenix is the one to stand above all!"

"You can count on that father," I grinned.

****

"Zacky!" a small, teen girl called out to me as I exited my father's place, "Was everything okay? You took a long time in there."