171 - Follower of the Dark

Duran Blaze - POV;

I leaned on the edge of the balcony along the top of the highest skyscaraper overlooking all of Nereus City. This place had long acted as a front to the numerous businesses I operated in secrecy, including the Mendax Company. It had come to be known as the Heart of Trading in the world. Although no one business was as large as Glacia's or even Astra's ventures, the sheer number of companies huddled together in the region was unmatched. Though it was not known to the larger world, Blaze and myself operated and owned atleast fifty percent of the organizations headquartered at this vast metropolis, but even ignoring those, the tens if not hundreds of thousands of other businesses was nothing to scoff at. Everything from legal commerce to the black market thrived in this place and the lack of evidence to trace any of it back to Blaze made this place a true blessing.

"Duran," the familiar, gruff voice greeted as he appeared behind me.

"Rex... so good of you to join me. Isn't it amazing? For so long, Blaze has been forced into the shadows. We've been forced to hide ourselves from the eyes of the world; constantly moving to remain undetected... always shifting our operations from one place to the next. But now... now those days are over. Now we stand above every man, beast and devil. We no longer have to shy away from the light. Finally, we can stand proud. No one can dare to touch us! It no longer matters if they know where we are. This place will stand as our kingdom! It will be the beacon of our strength! From this day forth, it will be known as Blaze City!" I declared.

"Our people are growing restless. After such a big move they are hungry to know what's next," he noted.

"And they will know soon. For now we wait. We've eradicated the majority of those heathens of Fenix. Though a few are thrown about to the wind, we can certainly say we have had our redemption. Horus Fenix has felt the suffering that we had. He finally saw true pain. With that, our primary goal has been achieved. Even with the meddling of Zephyr, Astra and Neptulus, the universe still favoured our cause; it favoured the righteousness of our directive. Now only one thing remains. We shall restore Zephyrus to his full strength and then use his power to maintain order on this Earth," I continued, "I must admit however that Xyder has impressed me. He certainky carries the fearless and legendary blood of Kristæl Zephyr in his blood. Not only has he done the unseen by attaining dominion over every element... his body, for who knows how many years, has served as the ground upon which the Deity of Darkness, Tenebrae, has been sealed. I have recently had an exchange with a powerful insider of the World Heirarchy. If she is correct, then Tenebrae will strike Zephyr in the coming weeks. With Zephyr defeated, it will be child's play for us to harness Zephyrus' sealed power in those forbidden plains."

"Do you really believe they can defeat Zephyr?" Rex pressed.

"I don't. However, at the very least, they will prove to be a worthy distraction. When that battle rages, we shall seize our prize."

****

Geraldine Gina - POV;

"Lady G, are you sure about this? There doesn't seem to be anything good in this place. I keep getting this weird vibe," Rael muttered.

"I'm certain that this is the place. Just trust me, my boy. This sense of foreboding danger is a great sign," I assured him.

We continued to push through the twisting, eerie tunnels of the extensive cave network running our hands along the damp, mossy walls to find our way forward in lieu of a light source. Before long, I caught a glimpse of a dim shining innthe distance. In excitement, I bolted towards what was evidently an exit and before long, I found myself in a large, cavernous room which seemed to stand at the centre of the underground labyrinth.