122 - A Leader's Trust

Xyder Zephyr - POV;

"Duran?! Duran Blaze?! He was a friend of my father?!" I cried out in shock.

"So it seems. I never learned the specifics however. Kristæl never had a reason to go deep into it and I never had a reason to ask. If only I knew what would happen all these years later...." Regulus Astra groaned.

"Wait, wait... what does all of this mean?" I stopped him.

"I'm still looking into this entire matter but here are the facts: Duran Blaze is leading a coordinated operation and is aiming to grab victory in this tournament. Why he would go to such lengths, I couldn't even begin to imagine, but having seen him myself and recognising the kind of man he is, there is definitely something great that he is aiming for through this whole affair. Do you have any idea what it could be?" he inquired.

"The land. He wants the land being offered as a prize for winning," I stated.

"I considered that too but I'm not sure that something like real estate is big enough for him to go to these lengths."

"No, it's not like that," I corrected him, "This is all my speculation and it might as well be worth a grain of salt but there is something on that land that is extremely valuable to Blaze. I don't know what it could be but my grandfather was desperate to safeguard that place and keep it under Zephyr's jurisdictions. I've been thinking about this entire mess alot recently, especially while I was imprisoned. As much as I despise him... as much as I wish he could roll over and die... I know that the man Seraphim Zephyr the Third would never willingly risk the lives of clansmen for something as petty as property. Whatever is in that place has left him with his hands tied behind his back. It's not a matter of him wanting that land, it's a matter of him having to keep it away from anyone else."

"What? If what you say is true then we might know where the answer for this entire mystery is hidden! Tell me Xyder, what more do you know about that place?" Regulus Astra pressed.

"I'm honestly completely in the dark. Some of the others from Zephyr might not be however," I mumbled.

"Who do you mean? Catherine? Or other higher-ups in Zephyr?"

"No, much closer than that. I'm not a fool, and I feel like some people seem to forget this fact. I've known her for as long as I lived and we've grown so close that we may as well be one. Even so, Evelynn still believes that I wouldn't know when she's hiding something from me. I've noticed it for couple weeks now... ever since we first entered the tournament. That day we decided to opt out to protect our friends. Things took a turn that night however. I didn't realise it until I reflected but that night Evelynn went out on her own and she learned something... a fact which drove her to change her opinions of our situation. I've been having a feeling that Dagan knows more than he is letting on as well. The two have been meeting in secret and, ignoring their other acts, they've undoubtedly been sharing information in secret."

"Have you confronted them?" he asked.

"How could I? I've had violent and rash outbursts a number of times since getting here but I've tried to subdue them  as best as I can. In a time like this, all we have is each other. If you lose our trust in our family and friends, then we will remain with nothing. I've heard a number of times from my grandfather, my father, my uncle Incendio... and so many more... a nation is nothing without its people and a leader must act for the sake of said nation. I can only imagine that Evelynn has a reason for her choice," I told him.

He nodded before continuing, "You truly have the mature mind and character of leader. I was wrong to think for a second that you might be my junior. Xyder... like your father before you... you are already my equal. You need not power and ability to rise above all. Your heart alone will take you to the highest of places."

Five minutes passed in silence before Lord Grisha spoke up again, "We'll continue our deliberation of this matter soon but for now we must focus on the present. Your words have made one thing clear. Whether you win or lose this tournament, Zephyr WILL stand in the path of Blaze. To achieve their goals they must clash against you and when that time comes you must be ready to take them head on. Duran himself has attained the elusive Mythical Vessel form and he commands a powerful force in the form of Blaze. I've watched their team's performance. Those children are ruthless and powerful but calculated, much like their Regulus. The leader of the team, Omega A, is a true force to be reckoned with as well. He is undoubtedly a Deity Vessel and so are the likes of Indira, Aquarius Nuptulus, Zacharias Fenix, Aella Atmos and Saiya Eclipse. These are YOUR opponents; the Regulus Heirs who fought their ways into the final event. They are young, yet they are amongst the greatest of their respective clans in ability. Their mastery over their elements are leagues above yours Xyder. You can't reach that height with any element in time, yet if you hope to reach victory you MUST overcome them. But I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are not limited like they. You have an arsenel of elements to combine, an untapped demonic strength and eyes of immeasurable potential... ones Kristæl passed onto you but not before enlightening me. Come Xyder, you have much to do if you are to harness all of this but once you are able to, none will be able to defeat you."