135 - Evelynn's Research

Xyder Zephyr - POV;

"Eclipse just gave up instantly?! I heard that Fenix and Blaze had won their matches but I never looked into it. We were all so busy trying to figure out the situation with Disas, Storm and Dagan that it just didn't cross our minds," I explained.

"That's understandable. It's good that those three will recover without problem. I couldn't imagine what we... what you would do if they were lost to us," Nero said solemnly.

"It's all owed to you and your help Nero. If those doctors you brought weren't on hand, things could have ended badly for Disas. Thank you. I don't know if we could get through this without your help. You, Naomi and her siblings... everyone... you've stood by us through the most trying of times. I can't be grateful enough," I told him truthfully and emotionally.

"I'm glad that I could be useful to all of you but you're placing too much praise on me. I'm also helping you for my personal goals as well. Taking down Blaze is in my best interest too. If that weren't the case, I'm not sure I'd have been here doing so much for you all," he answered sadly.

"Even so," I continued, "you've already gone above and beyond to protect, aid and bail us out in countless situations. You're one of the best friends we could ever have."

"That means a great deal to me," he murmered.

"So, regarding the Eclipse situation, does that mean they are in league with Blaze?" I questioned.

"Undoubtedly. I was observing Duran during the entire event. He was watching the battles from the reserved seatings and he seemed to have developed an intimate and close relationship with Regulus Zelisha Eclipse. They didn't seem to try hiding it in the slightest. It's like they were begging for a scandal," Nero revealed.

"He's getting bold. He knows that the end is coming and our time is running out. He thinks he's in full control over this game and honestly, he just might be. But he can be damn sure that we're not going down without a fight. Even if we lose in the end, I swear I'll take him down to hell with us. Duran Blaze, I'm coming for you!" I growled.

****
Evelynn Zephyr - POV;

I scribbled away furiously in the pages of my diary, constructing an array of symbols, words and images. Meanwhile, qith my free hand, I flipped through the pages of a series of arcane texts, searching for references and similarities to what I'd found so far and what I was yet to discover.

The basement of Fenix City's oldest library was nothing to be proud of and was far from comfortable but those were the last things on my mind. A strong, musky odour permeated the air of the dark room whose unflattering corners harboured a thick, moldy growth. Spiders, lizards and a host of other critters rushed around at every nook and cranny, some occasionally stopping to take a gander at the first person to enter this place in decades: an unusual girl in the form of myself, Evelynn Zephyr, sister extraordinaire.

"That's not right... it was something more like... this?" I mumbled to myself. Without warning, a pair of hand suddenly grabbed my shoulders firmly from behind causing me to jump with a shrill shriek, "Kyaaah!"

I wasn't very thrilled when Xyder poked his head up from behind me, laughing hysterically.

"You should have seen the look on your face," he cackled.

"You should have fallen through the ground," I pouted, turning to my books angrily.

"Come on, I was just kidding around," he said, poking my cheek playfully.

"How'd you even know I was here?" I asked him as I stood up and ascended the creaking ladder to the ground floor of the library. Unlike it's abandoned basement, this main portion of the library was well managed and taken care of. Though it was ancient and carried a unique, archaic style, the building had been maintained in pristine condition.

"I saw Satella bot long ago and she said you'd snuck off again," he revealed as he followed me.

"Again?" I continued to walk through the aisles and scanned the shelves while talking to him without ever looking his way.

"Yeah. They said you'd made a habit of it, especially while I was training wih Lord Grisha that entire month," he revealed.

"Then how did they know I came here?" I questioned while thumbing through the pages of an encyclopedia I just pulled off of the shelf.

"She said that you always acted really suspiciously each time you did, so they decided to tail you one day expecting something really bad.... but then you walked in this library," he continued.

"Then how'd you know I was down there?"

"The girl at the desk told me. She remembered you clearly as the weird girl with the green hair and the big boobs who wanted to go into the basement that hasn't been used in decades," he chuckled.

"Weird?!" I snapped, glaring at him.

"Hey, her words, not mine," he defended.

"Hmph. Sure it is," I pouted and muttered sarcastically as I returned to my book.

"Wait, this is it!" I gaspeddropping onto my knees and scrambling to pull my diary from my pocket. I flipped it open and began to copy the words in the text.

"So... what are you doing?" he enquired.

"Finishing my search! Duh!" I rolled my eyes.

"For what?"

"The Devil!" I proclaimed.

"But didn't Blaze steal the book? Naomi said so herself," he noted.

"Losing the Third Prophecy was a huge blow but it was not the end! I still have everything else I've found up to this point and the answers behind their meaning must lie somewhere in this world! I feel it in my body and it makes me all tingly!" I squealed.

"And you've found the answers inside here?"

"No, but I'm finding more clues each and every day," I beamed.

"So Evie... this Devil... what will you do exactly once you find him?" he interrogated.

"I'll do what's only natural," I grinned.

"I that is?" he narrowed his eyes.

"I can't tell you. It's a secret. Consider it a surprise," I teased him.