12 - An Unlikely Attack

Xyder Zephyr - POV;

"What do you mean by wife you little rascal?! Don't tell me that you laid your hands on this innocent girl!" Alva scolded, twisting my ear.

"Ouch! Ouch! Wait! Let me explain!" I pleaded.

The entire population within the Meeting Hall had been blown away and left dumbfounded by my announcement. Incendio had seemed the most shocked and after ordering Cheryl be released he adjourned the gathering and retreated to his quarters clearly unsure of what to make of the news. Following this, Alva had been eagerly awaiting my exit so she could give me an earful outside. Storm, Catherine, Caitlyn and Evelyn stood with her while Satella and Cheryl followed me in silence.

"Let me explain!" I pleaded once more and Alva released her grasp, "This girl is Cheryl Amie Mayer, daughter of Mayor Mayer and heir to the neighbouring Mayer Estates. As you all know, the relationship between both of our towns had been mended by my late father and pursued by Patriarch Seraphim. During one of his many business visits, Seraphim sought to unite the two establishments by marrying the heir of Zephyr to the heir of Mayer. Technically Cheryl isn't actually my wife, just my fiancée..... but i kind of stretched the truth a bit to sell my story. I had no choice!"

They all looked at me skeptically, except for Storm whom had heard the story prior to this.

"It... It's true!" Cheryl supported my claim. After this I could see their expressions soften as they clearly began to believe me.

"So my little brother's already gotten himself a betrothed? Good job Xy!" Evie grinned as she pat me on the shoulder.

"Eh?" Alva was stunned.

"Just don't be too hasty under the sheets," Catherine murmered and began giggling as she looked off to the side.

"Ehhhh?!" Alva remarked again.

"YAY! Caity has a new sister!" Caitlyn exclaimed.

"All right, that's it! Why are you all so supportive of this?!!" Alva fumed.

"We're just playing Alva," Catherine laughed, "Besides no one is at fault here. I'm sure Xyder didn't even know about his engagement until recently."

"I didn't," I confirmed.

"What do I call you big sis?" Caitlyn asked, running up to Cheryl.

"My name is Cheryl but you can call me whatever you like," Cheryl answered the girl with a smile on her face as she pushed back her hair and she bent her back slightly in order to come closer to the child's face.

"Hmm. Anything? Ehhhh??" Caitlyn seemed confused. Cheryl looked at the flustered girl and grinned to herself.

"I know!" Caitlyn abruptly announced excitedly, "Will you invite me to your wedding Cherry?!"

"Wedding?! Cherry?! Umm, maybe you should just call me Cheryl...."

"Cherry! Cherry! Cherry! Cherry! Cherry!" Caitlyn chanted.

"H- hey! Please don't call me that!" Cheryl stuttered as she started to redden.

"I don't see the harm. Cherries are sweet and beautiful fruits are they not?" I remarked. Everyone became silent and Cheryl looked riper than a full tomato. I only then realised my poor choice of wording.

"Are you trying to flirt?!..... infront of Alva?!" Evie erupted in laughter as she pointed at me. Catherine began to chuckle to herself in the corner and Alva glared at me clearly unsure of how to proceed.

"W-wait, its not like that. I didnt think my statement through," I tried to defend myself but it did little to curb the reactions around me.

Satella whom had been staring at the floor in silence up till this point had turned heel and walked away without warning. I called out to her when I noticed but Storm stopped me with a stern expression.