125 - Unfinished Business

Seraphim Zephyr the Third - POV;

"You certainly seem to be in uplifted spirits, Father," Catherine grinned as she approached me, "I've been looking your you all morning. To think I'd find you, the invincible, brawny and height-of-masculinity Seraphim Zephyr the Third, standing atop a hill while basking in the sun, wind and nature. My eyes must be deceiving me!"

"Is this so odd? Places like these were always her favorite to be in. Even as the wife of one of the most powerful men in the world, Sophia was humble and enjoyed the simplest of things. She would make any excuse to drag me along with Incendio and Kristæl to a picnic. Those kids loved it so much as well. Don't you remember? After your wedding, Kristæl took you and Cynthia to the gently sloping fields of our district and made you wait while he dragged Incendio and I there for old time's sake, he said. Those were all fun, joyous times... but now Sophia is gone and so is Incendio and Kristæl... even Cynthia has passed on. I was left all alone," I muttered, inhaling deeply.

"I'm still here for you father. At every step of every day I am at your side," she assured me, placing her hand on my arm, "But where is this all coming from so suddenly?"

"I don't know. I found myself here before I even realised it. It's as if I was being drawn to this place. Being here has afflicted me with so many memories of that time long gone... it... it's done something to me," I murmered.

"Done something to you? What do you mean?"

"As I stood here reflecting on my wife and my sons... I began to feel something... strange. My chest felt tightened. I felt like it was hard to breathe. I felt a cold, bitter emptiness deep inside me. I don't know what is it," I told her.

"Father... that's-" she began.

"And there's more," I interrupted her, "My mind began to waver. It shifted to the news. The revelation that Xyder was cleared of all charges and Zephyr was re-instated into the tournament. I began to see images of Xyder and Evelynn scurrying around with you, Cynthia and Kristæl always close by. I recalled their intense fights that would lead to bitter tears and the scolding they would receive from you both, their mothers. They'd always come running to me afterwards and become the best of friends once more as we ate cookies behind your and Cynthia's back while watching their favorite shows. They'd always call out to me with the biggest smiles and merriest voices. Thinking about all of his made a... warmth develop in my chest. A sense of tranquility you could say."

"No, it couldn't be could it?" she gasped, covering her mouth wih her hands.

"I thought so too. It should be impossible but the more I think about it, the more certain I am. What I feel... are emotions. Inklings of sorrow and ecstasy. Things I have not known for seven long years," I wheezed.

"But... no.... I thought... it should have been permanent. Is the exchange being revoked?! Is that even possible?! If it is will he be-" Catherine grew pale as her panicked voice grew dimmer.

"Not even I can answer that. That creature is unpredictable. He acts for himself, not you or I. My worst fears are all being realised at once. Zephyrus is on the verge of being returned, the seal is almost shattered and Xyder is so close to learning everything. A great terror awaits this world if all of this cannot be put to a halt. In fact... this Earth may be facing it's end should we fail to stop this madness," I stated grimly.

"Have you spoken to the Deities?" Catherine asked.

"Indeed. They repeat the same lines. If anyone can save us it's Xyder. They believe that Zephyrus' return is almost guaranteed but if anyone has a chance to prevent that, it's my grandson," I revealed.

"Don't you believe them?" she questioned.

"I want to. With all my heart I do... but Catherine, you and I both know that even with their great wisdom and power, their words are not a hundred percent guaranteed. There has been many a time where their foresight proved inaccurate. There has only ever been one... one superbeing whose words have proved to come to fruition each and every time. His power is far superior to any of the Deities to have graced this universe. He can practically shape reality to his will. He is the only one who can tell me the absolute future," I grunted.

"You don't mean- Father you can't! That's far too great of a risk!" Catherine insisted.

"Perhaps. However, I am the leader of the clan known as Zephyr; the strongest peoples to grace this Earth. Our influence has been built on a long history of trust, love and care for our fellow clans men. We must guide our children so that they may become warriors fitting the name they uphold, but now those children are being threatened and harmed by a wicked and evil force. No child of Zephyr is worth too little to protect and as the Regulus of Zephyr, I must save those children no matter the cost. Speaking to Evelynn made me realise one thing. I hadn't put off that old meeting because of any deeper care for the world or for the sake of some larger plan. No... I kept away purely out of fear. Fear of that unknown, immeasurable power. But I let this go on for far too long. It's time I conclude my unfinished business with the Devil!"

****

A/N -
There we have it, a total of 10 Chapters in one day: a gift of celebration for Zephyr's 10k Reads/1k Votes milestone. There may not be a chapter this Saturday, since I would like a bit of time to recover from this blow to my resources, but with over 20 chapters in reserve, I just might publish one anyway. Either way, updates will continue as normal from next week. Once more, thank you all for your support.
~t0_x-in