121 - A Vessel's Potential

Xyder Zephyr - POV;

I stood doubled over and panting heavily as the tall figure loomed over me.

"You're making huge improvements already Xyder. Even I didn't expect that you'd get this far this quickly. Maybe you will achieve that ascended state after all. It's still unlikely but who can say for sure?" Regulus Grisha noted as he handed me a bottle of water, "Come on, that's enough elemental training for today. Even I've grown tired and my back is killing me. It seems age has started to catch up."

"If we're done," I said between chugs of liquid, "then I'm going to practice my skills with my sword. I can't afford to get rusty now."

"You sure? You can barely stand on your own right now," he pointed out.

"Even so, I have to push harder than I ever have before. Besides, if there's one thing one thing I can do nonstop for days it's physical training. That's my specialty," I boasted.

"You have an inextinguishable flame burning within you Xyder. It's the mark of a dedicated and powerful leader. I'll accompany you in weapon training but first, can you spare me a few moments?" he asked.

"Of course."

I followed him to our usual resting spot atop a grand oak stump and took a seat beside him.

"I need to tell you about Vessels and how we work in relation to our elements," he began.

"What? Isn't that just elementary knowledge? That's really not necessary," I assured him.

"When I first began training with your father, I was already well versed and experienced in the arts of Lightning Manipulation and yet when we began he opened with just that. I objected and called it a waste of time but he insisted that it's critical to establish the foundation and framework before building on it. Those were his beliefs and they were damn accurate ones at that," Regulus Astra laughed.

"I see."

"I'm sure that you know that there are a few types of Vessels in this world and people are often separated into these 'classes'," he commenced, "First there are those incapable of harnessing the elemental powers at all. No matter how much they try, they will never achieve that unity with an element for they lack any affinity and bond with all elements."

"Empty Vessels," I muttered.

"Indeed. They are those who aren't even slightly blessed by the hand of the Elemental Deities. They can still achieve strength and power but this is through physical or magical means. A few have been known to train in magical arts to achieve Elemental Prowess somewhat similar yet different to that of Elemental Vessels. Many Empty Vessels exist today as you know. The majority of Vessels who have power belong to one of the Elemental Clans though there are still Vessels who are completely unaffiliated with us. Even amongst Vessels with power though, there are still further divisions. The ones considered lowest amongst us are the Partial Vessels; Vessels who, while having affinity with an element,  have a minute amount of elemental power. They usually cannot generate their element from themselves and are limited to manipulating naturally existing versions of their elements. For an example, a Partial Vessel would not be able to create flames from themselves but if they light a fire with a match, the can then manipukate that flame. There are cases of some being able to generate at most a candle-sized flame or water drops however. Their level of manipulation of existing elements can vary with some only able to move as little as small pebbles and water puddles while others may be able to move entire boulders and pools of water. They can never increase their powers to the next level of Vessels however."

"I've known a few in my lifetime... Partial Vessels," I revealed.

"Speaking of the next level of Vessels, this is what we commonly refer to as the Elemental Vessel," Regulus Grisha continued, "They are the de facto, most common class of all Vessels with power. One can say they have the base amount of elemental power which is the point of  comparison against other classes of Vessels. They can freely manipulate and generate the element they have achieved unity with. The range of power that one of these Vessels can achieve is vast. The strongest Elemental Vessel is leagues ahead of the weakest. The power, strength and speed of an Elemental Vessel naturally depends on their Element and genetics however one of these Vessels can vastly improve their ability through training physically, mentally, spiritually and elementally. This is the level you are currently at Xyder."