8 - Seraphim's Inner Conflict

Seraphim Zephyr - POV;

In recent days, I have been having terrible nightmares... dreams so bad that I could I hardly sleep. My lack of rest had obviously begun to show and I realised this when I was interrogated one morning by my subordinates.

"Patriarch Seraphim, you seem to be quite out of it in recent days. Is there something going on that we should be concerned about? You aren't ill are you?" he inquired.

"No. No I'm fine, thank you," I lied.

"You're lying," Catherine accused creeping up behind me.

"Hmm? You are here earlier than expected Catherine," I told her once my subordinate had taken his leave from my office room.

"Evelyn had come racing home with fantastic news and I knew that I had to come over as soon as I heard it," Catherine explained.

"So I've heard that Xyder has joined your tournament," she continued.

"Grr. That boy is only trouble to me," I growled.

"Oh? You say so but yet you allowed him to pursue his quest to obtain his Persona? Deep down, you actually want him to win it, don't you?" she snickered.

"And why would I ever want a sterile brat to take over this family!" I roared.

Catherine sighed and sat on my desk,"Don't tell me that you've lied so much that you have begun to believe in your untruths. You know the truth behind Xyder's current state. I don't believe that it is right to keep him in the dark like this! Being the child of my husband and the brother of my daughter makes him more or less a child of mine as well. It hurts me to see him suffer through life in the way you have him. The promise you made your son was not this! He would never want this for Xyder, for his son. If you can't bring yourself to tell Xyder the truth then I will have no choice but to do it myself!"

"No!" I shouted, "The boy cannot know! Not yet! When the time is right, perhaps I shall reveal everything to him but as of now, knowing this would only lead to chaos. He will act out to save them and place his life at risk. That's the kind of person Xyder is! We can't offord for him to release that demon! Not ever!"

"Oh god," Catherine shook her head, "You really are stubborn you know."

"Go home to your children now. I am sure Evelyn and Caitlyn await your return," I demanded.

"I will. However I know what aches your heart. Xyder's defiance, it has brought back the memories of your son and his second wife no? The pains of the incident ten years ago? Don't let it get you down father-in-law. You need to be strong for the Clan, for your son Khris and daughter-in-law Cynthia..... but most of all, you must be the pillar to overlook Xyder's life and his progress as an individual. Unwavering, Valiant and Powerful.... the three virtues which make up the Head of the Zephyr Clan. You see them every time you look at Xyder, don't you?" Catherine snickered as she took her leave.

"Damn it!" I boomed as I slammed my fist into my desk, "I have failed you, haven't I my son?"

* * * *

Xyder Zephyr - POV;

"Hey, hey. Let's go shopping a bit! The mall's right to the left over there!" Cheryl hugged my arm and pointed out the building.

"Now wait a minute! Aren't we supposed to be going to get Xyder's Persona?" Storm protested.

"Tch. Be quiet man-servant! We don't need the butler's input!" Cheryl insulted him.